cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Nee
Occasional Contributor

Refurbished Nightmare

I have received 2 refurbished phones from optus. I sent my original phone away on warranty claim because the battery was stuffed. As soon as it got to under 50% it would just restart itself over and over with varying outcomes on restart, the most recent time not restarting at all and me losing everything on the phone. 

They sent me a refurbished phone where the top 1cm of the screen did not work. Sent it back again, and the refurbished phone they replaced it with has the same issue as my original - once it gets below 50% battery it just randomly restarts with varying outcomes on restart. 

I'm about to take it to optus to send away yet again, however my original 24 month warranty on the phone runs out in May. I'm worried that each time I get a refurb I'm going to have to send it away for more issues. Over the next 3 months I will be out of the country 3 times. I can't afford this to happen every time. As I understand it, the warranty even on the refurbs is only good until my original warranty runs out, so since December I have had 3 phones that do not work as they should. 

Does anyone know where I can go from here? I want a brand new phone, not a refurb. They clearly do not test the phones properly before sending them out. What happens if this just keeps occuring and my warranty runs out? Then I will be out of pocket for a brand new phone even though I have done the right thing?

I'm so frustrated right now. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Refurbished Nightmare

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Sound like they sent the same phone back to you

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The Optus Phone Isurance includes an option to pay a $250 premium to get a new phone and not a refurbished one. Not sure if that could apply here? Personally I would just keep requesting a replacement. As soon as you get one that appears to be working ok (test battery and screen) they you have the option of selling it on eBay and grabbing a new one. 

But also you should be able to keep claiming until they actually send you a working replacement.

Ultimately, waranty aside, Optus is legally required to provide a product of merchantable quality. If the phone is under 2 years old then you can make a statutory claim to have it replaced or refunded (your choice as its a major failure). More effort and doesn't solve your immeadiate issue though. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for the info Peter. It's very helpful. 

I asked Optus when I sent my last one back and they said the warranty is only valid until my initial warranty runs out. I'm no longer with optus as they screwed me around with roaming charges late last year and so I don't have insurance. It's all via warranty. 

The part you mentioned about a statuatory claim - do you know how I'd go about that or have a link where I can read more information?

I have considered selling it after I get a phone that's working properly, although I'm just worried that the phone won't show issues until shortly after like they have with the ones I've received (for example the first refurb they gave me took about 2 weeks to malfunction, and this one has taken about 3 weeks to malfunction) and the person won't have any way to get it fixed like me. I don't want anyone to have a dodgy phone. 

Thanks again for your replies!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

100000000000GB - thanks. I did think that could be the case but after checking the IMEI of my original phone, they are different. Making a complaint with the TIO is my last resort. A complaint with the TIO was at the end of my almost 20 year relationship with Optus last year about the roaming I mentioned above so I'd prefer to get it sorted outside if I can. If not though I'll have no hesitation going to them again. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It strikes me that you have a time problem, and they will send you a questionable phone. Maybe you can just get some money off them, to save you having to test and sell.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I'm not sure why they don't just send a new one. Surely I'm not the only person with these issues of getting broken phones each time. 

Or maybe they hate me because of the past TIO complaint and do it on purpose. Who knows. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Why send someone a new phone when you can drive them nuts with old phones.

0 Kudos
New Contributor erroorfree
New Contributor

I hope your query was resolved in time.I had a faulty iphone that i sent to optus and they sent me a refurb iphone 7 plus as well. now after a year and a half its died too and apparently its water damaged when iv never even taken it near water. long story short i just bought another from https://www.phonebot.com.au .although its a refurb one but hopefully itll last longer than my previous

0 Kudos
Top Contributors