cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor anonym
New Contributor

Recovering my number from quarantine (Optus is the original provider)

Hi there,

I've had a particular Australian mobile number for 15 years or so! I'm living overseas and keep it as it is essential in using Australian services.  Unfortunately it has been disconnected from a (non-Optus) service provider as I forgot to top up recently (although was still recieving SMS just not sending any). They said the number will be in quarantine for six months and will be released to potentially anybody after the 6 month period is up. After some research I found out that the original service provider (Optus) now has ownership of the number . Is there any way I can recover my number with Optus, given I'm the previous ROU holder? Apparently Optus are able to re-cover and re-issue my number before the quarantine period ends because I'm the prievous "Rights of Use" / ROU holder (http://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/telephone-numbers-and-number-portability-your-rights) Happy to re-establish my service with Optus again! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recovering my number from quarantine (Optus is the original provider)

Contact Optus Live Chat or Phone directly to discus.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

Hey anonym - did you originally take the number with Optus and then port it across to an alternate provider? If the number is owned by us and has been number, I can look to see if it's available. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Ross89
New Contributor

Hi, like many others on here I had my Optus number disconnected as I hadn't topped it up. I was told it was in quarantine by a Optus shop worker, I have had  that number for  16 years.. can I get it back 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Hey @Ross89, to be honest - I'm not sure. We'd need to double check whether the number is still able to be reallocated back to you.

Please get in touch with me via PM here with the number in question as well as your full name and DOB so that we can check it out. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors