cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor chrisosaurus
New Contributor

Recharge and autorecharge dodgy practices

Optus pre-paid plans last for 28 days, Optus helpfully reminds you a few days before expiry to recharge.

If you recharge immediately then the 28 days timer starts again and you lose any days remaining on your current plan.
If I want to maximise my coverage, and minimise my bill, I have to try to remember to top up exactly on the last day - which risks missing it and then losing coverage and any roll over benefits.

So I tried to set up autorecharge. Twice over the last 6 months I have tried to set up autorecharge using the Optus app, both times it claimed it was successful and then when it should have kicked in and topped up - nothing - I lost coverage and all my rollover benefits while I was away from home. I had to find a wifi point or use someone elses phone to manually top myself up.

Yesterday I again tried to set up autorecharge in the app, it has an option to start when your current pre-paid plan ends which I selected. At the last step the app gave me an error. I contacted customer support and they just asked me to try again or to try using the my-account website.

After digging my way through the my-account website trying every link like some kind of treasure hunt, I finally found the right combination of clicks to set up autorecharge.

Except that the website doesn't have the option to automatically start the recharge when the current plan ends, instead I have to select a date and time from a dropdown list, and the default option is in 2 days - but my current coverage ends in 4 days.

I have tried three times to set up auto recharge using the app, twice it succeeded but when it came time to autorecharge it did nothing, my phone lost coverage, and I lost my rollover benefits.

This continually feels like Optus is being purposefully misleading and is trying to nickle-and-dime me by 'stealing' a few days of pre-paid coverage from me every 28 days, not to mention the now 2 times I have lost all my rollover benefits and been out of the house when I lost coverage despite having autorecharge set up.

I tried to fill in the online complaint form but it was limited to two boxes of 1500 characters each, and neither allowed whitespace or formatting.

Is this normal for Optus?
How do other people deal with Optus prepaid?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
New Contributor chrisosaurus
New Contributor

Re: Recharge and autorecharge dodgy practices

For the fourth time I attempted to set up autorecharge, this time using the my-account website.

I filled in the form, sent the validation code, entered the validation code, and seemingly completed the form.

It then landed me back at the start of the recharge process with no confimration or error, I haven't received any email, and I cannot find any indication in the app or website about my current autorecharge status.

This is getting absurd.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Recharge and autorecharge dodgy practices

Hi Chrisosaurus,

Thank you for raising this issue.
This is not something that we can assist with here on the forum as we don't have visibility or access to customer accounts.
If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.. You're welcome to copy and paste the above messages and include your account details.

I have a Prepaid service myself but don't use Autorecharge.

If you have followed these steps on our help and support page and there is something wrong with the information there, please let us know.

This may be unrelated by the MyOptusApp and MyAccount portal are having scheduled maintenance this weekend so this issue might be resolved when it is completed.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors