Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mae1989
New Contributor
New Contributor

Receiving calls from myself

Hi everyone! Today my phone has been receiving calls from itself e.g. my caller ID is my number and looks like I'm calling myself. Is this a scam? I haven't picked up any calls from my number incase it is. Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Receiving calls from myself

No real harm picking up once (just never call an unknown number back). If it is you calling find out if you are from the past out future and take appropriate action (i.e. give your self some stock tips or ask for some)

But more likely it's some glitch in the caller id setting. Get a mate to call you and see what happens.

Petey Gillespie

0 Kudos
BellAsh
New Contributor
New Contributor

Had two missed calls from my own “mobile” whilst was on do not disturb.. rang third time and answered on silent. It was my own Optus voicemail ? So weird, hanged up, but reading strange things out there so worried about voicemail hacking

0 Kudos
Jack_YC

Hi there BellAsh, thanks for letting us know. One possible explanation for this is that your number was 'spoofed' to make it look like you're receiving a call from yourself. 

I recommend you keep an eye on this to see if these calls continue to occur. If they do, I recommend sending us a message via the My Optus App so we can verify your details and follow up on this for you. 

I also suggest you check out our Scam Calls Guide for more info on this sort of thing. There could be other reasons for this, as @petergdownload mentioned earlier in the thread, it could be an issue with a caller ID setting. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.