cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Hann79
New Contributor

REFUND FOR UNWANTED PSMS SUBSCRIPTION

I did not sign up for this service, nor was I notified that I'll have to manually setup "not to receive" Premium SMS! Even after OPTING OUT as instructed, I'm still charged for the service AND for Opting STOP?! This is highly unacceptable!! Only after searching on the Internet have I found that I'm not the only victim of this scheme! Please refund me what is owed to me! Clearly, I was not notified of this "automatic" service and even after saying, "STOP", I was still charged!! I have tried to raise this complaint through myZOOmobile several times in the last hour, and it always given an error message saying that my request could not be processed because I did not select a preferred method of contact. I took turns selecting the 3 options, MOBILE, LANDLINE OR EMAIL. All failed! How frustrating!! Smiley Mad 

14 Replies
RetiredModerator Meg
RetiredModerator

Re: REFUND FOR UNWANTED PSMS SUBSCRIPTION

Can understand that you would be really frustrated with receiving the premium subscription. Have you checked out the info about premium content we can help out with making a complaint and charges on this service so just live chat  us for assitance. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Hann79
New Contributor

Yes, I did try to raise a complaint, but encountered technical difficulties as mentioned. Tried to Livechat, but "all the chat teams were busy". I would really appreciate a refund for this unwanted subscription. It truly is unacceptable! Thank you.

0 Kudos
JustinB
Blog Author

If you can send me a private message with your full name, mobile number + DOB, I'll check into this for you ASAP 🙂

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor awaba
Occasional Contributor

I have also "suddenly" recieved a charge on my latest account for a "service" I did not sign up for or activate.  I am simply trying to find a way to contact Optus via email to ask the basis Optus accepts third party charges on my behalf (either contracttual or otherwise).  I have now had PSMS barred on the mobile number the charge has appeared on but am seeking a reversal of the charge by Optus.  I have contacted the PSMS provider who offered a small "credit" (approx 50% of the charge) which is unacceptable.  I find it bizarre that it appears that Optus provides SIMs with this feature activated such that PSMS services can make charges without notice.  Surely this feature should require activation so the user knows what is happenning?

Using "The Crowd" appears to be the only way to raise this issue.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Meg
RetiredModerator

Hi awaba, if you'd like to send me a private message with your phone number and date of birth for privacy I can check this charge for you. Premium Content is available so that customers may access services from their phone this includes everything from Google play Apps to entering SMS competitions or voting lines and has been available for some time. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor bray
New Contributor

Dear Yes Crowd Community,

Last week I went into an Optus store to inquire about my husband's ever increasing mobile phone bills. Upon several conversations with "billing", I discovered that we have become victim of the despicable scam that is premium sms subscriptions, and that over the past months we have been direct debited in excess of $1000. Going through bill after bill, I was utterly shocked that this is possible in Australia in 2017. 

Despite multiple conversations and escalations, today our request for compensation was comprehensively denied. This is despite the fact that we didn't know anything about these "services" and we never actually received any SMS because the charges were applied to a fictitous, non-physical SIM card that was at some point given to us "for free" as a "shared data plan."

Tomorrow I am planning on contacting the Telco ombudsman, Fair Trading, ACCC, and inquire about any interest from the media in a story about this. I would honestly not thought it possible only a week ago, but my eyes have truly opened to the evil industry that this is.

If you have any practical suggestions on tackling complaints of this size, please respond.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Hey bray - apologies for the late reply. We've been extremely busy 😞 We'd be more than happy to look into your Premium content concerns for you - may I ask if you've already engaged the TIO?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor awaba
Occasional Contributor

Hi - I also got "caught" by this scam!  Similarly, the "premium" service found its way onto one of my "shared data" SIMs (ie not a SIM used for phone calls (but it did have a mobile number)) without any notice or warning .  Optus were reasonably helpful and I eventually got an almost full refund from the premium service provider.  Had that not happened, then I would have gone down the same path you propose re ACCC etc.  You will have seen that many people have been caught by this scam and my point is that Optus should supply SIMs with this service turned OFF (I presume you have done this already with Optus?).  I am happy to let you use my "experiences" in support of any further activities you may undertake to recover your losses.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Thanks for your feedback awaba - please do let us know if we can be of further assistance.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors