Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

RECYCLED NUMBER CREEPY MESSAGES!

EbonyFisher29

Hi all,

I recently changed to vodaphone and got a new phone number when I had. Hence, leaving behind my old Optus number. My Dad made the mistake of texting my old number asking if I wanted to go to the cricket and got the reply "I'm Horny" (HOW EMBARRASSING!). The number then confirmed with my dad it was his daughter messaging!!! Clearly, Optus has recycled my phone number here and given it to an absolute creep. I am beyond embarrassed and distraught over this because I have no idea how many people have made the same mistake as my Dad. Just awful to think about. Optus has said they will fix the issue but I am just not satisfied with that as this is not something that should happen to anyone, EVER! Do you think I should be compensated for this? 

Thanks.

Solution

Re: RECYCLED NUMBER CREEPY MESSAGES!

Paddylee

Hello,

Unfortunately Optus has no control over who a creep is.

Once you no longer want a number its placed in quarantine for a certain length of time then re-issued to a new customer.

Their is only soo many mobiles numbers available so numbers have to be recycled.

You could have taken your existing number to a different provider - their is a set process for doing so - and would have avoided all of this as well.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Geezea

How long to they quarantine these numbers? I bought a new fone 2 months ago and I still keep getting calls looking for strangers. They have asked for 3 different names so far

Ray_YC

Generally it is six months. As Paddylee mentioned above this is not in Optus' control, if someone has the number stored in the phone under the previous owners name, telemarketers have the number on file, etc. going through the quarantine process doesn't eliminate this it just means the number is unused for this amount of time and then issued to somebody else. 

Customers always have the option to change their number if desired.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
75 Kudos
70 Kudos
58 Kudos
44 Kudos