cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor ADH
Occasional Contributor

REACTIVATING OLD MOBILE NUMBER

Have spent hours around the Optus World on phone and on line, trying to reactive an old mobile number I disconnected in January, 2018.  Have been told so much conflicting information and disconnected 3 times. My understanding from my research is that I should be able to have my old number reinstated/activated.  I bought the $2.00 sim to do this.  One optus staffer was about to reactivate it, I think, and then I was disconnected and impossible to get back to that staffer.  One staffer said my old number was not out in recycling and another staffer says it was.  Another staffer was about to put me through to someone to reactivate and see if there would be a charge to reactivate and then disconnected again.  It is extremely difficult dealing with Optus Staffers who hand out totally conflicting information and also disconnect you .  Help Please - I need to get back my old number.

ADH

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: REACTIVATING OLD MOBILE NUMBER

Optus only retain the number for six months after the last recharge. 

Recovery of the number now would seem fairly unlikely.

I take it if you ring the number it still tells you it is disconnected?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@ADH, sorry you've had a bit of hard time with this one.

There's a few things we need to consider when reactivating a number that's been disconnected.

1) Did the service originate from Optus? When you signed up Optus, did we give you this number or was that ported in from another carrier?

2) If the number was originally ported in from another provider, that number goes back to the donor carrier (it's quarantined on their end for a period of 6 months)

3) If the number did originate from Optus, it can be pulled out of quarantine and reactivated

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The number is an original Optus number which I had for several years.

The problem seems to be to find the right peson in Optus to deal with

this as I have found different opinions from Optus staff as to whether

they can or can't assist.

Are you able to advise who to contact?  Would I be able to

have the phone no reactivated by going on 24x7 chat line?

Many Thanks

ADH

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I could give it a shot.

Was that a prepaid service? I'll need you to go out and purchase a $2.00 Prepaid mobile SIM.

Once you've purchased the SIM, I'll then need you to send us a private message. Please include the following:

- Your full name

- D.O.B

-Mobile number

- New SIM card number 

I might not be able to get back to you right away, but I'll respond as soon as I can. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan,

I sent you a privat email a couple of days ago, with the information you requested, full name, dob, mobile, new sim card.

Looking forward to heaing from you futher.

Many thanks

ADH

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

hi dan, I sent an email to you on 16.12.18 with details you requested including

new sim details and have not heard anything.

are you able to assist me with reactivating my old mobile?

regards,

ADH

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You mean a Private Message?

Mods pop in and out irregularly so you'll need to check in more often I suspect. 

As a tip type the @ symbol and you can select any other contributor's name. That person will get a message saying they've been mentioned inb a thread. @Dan_C

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

I sent a reply email to the email I received from Optus Crowd, so I presumed that was the email for Dan.  I sent it on 16.12.2018 setting out full name, dob, new sim no etc etc.

Dan appears to have been online quite regularly after 16.12.2018  and till today.  Perhaps he has not received the email I sent.

Hopefully this will now filter through to @Dan_C

Thank you for your post today.

Kind Regards

ADH

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@ADH

Optus isn't a great believer in emails. Its likely your email is now endlessly circulating the globe. 

Dan will no doubt pop back in here so you can continue the dialogue.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors