cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Jamisonjimmy-_
Occasional Contributor

Prepaid phone question

I am looking to buy an iPhone se and I've seen some that are cheaper then outright phones. They are called Optus prepaid though so my question is what is the difference. I've heard I'm looked into Optus but can I just buy it and never buy data or plans like I do now?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prepaid phone question

Sorry I don’t understand your question entirely. You want to buy a prepaid IPhone and you want to know if you can buy it without a phone or data plan? Should that be the question the answer is yes as far as I am aware. It would be locked to the Optus network unless you decide to pay to have it unlocked.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can buy a phone out right from Optus (it will come with a SIM loaded for 1 month)

The phone is usually locked to the Optus network but it seems free to unlock it. See Here

JBHiFi have them for cheaper but they may be locked again (need to check on it in store)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So my question is , is the only difference that I'm locked with Optus.  Do I have to get a plan or can I just let it expire and just use the phone like normal

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Did you try the links I provided on unlocking? There is no plan except the first months (free) sim card.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I looked at the links but I still am curious if I can just buy it, use the 50$ bonus credit and never get a plan or anything after and just use and own the phone?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yep. You can.

Just read the unlocking bit about phones (to me it seems that's no issue with your (intended) phone.)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yeh cool it's just I have a phone right now with an Optus sim but never buy anything eg plans and credit.  I'm just wondering as all the prepaid phones I see have (data plan required) in their details

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

So using my OPTUS link above (to the prepaid SE) what part on that page gives you concern (or suggests a plan is required)?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes not just that page but all prepaid phones have in small print "data plan is required" so what does it mean

0 Kudos
Top Contributors