cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Prepaid Bonus Data ... 3 x 'recharge' SCAM

This is for use in an Optus Pocket Wifi for data only while we are awaiting a proper internet connection to the our home.

Bought a $30 prepaid SIM with Bonus Data - total 35GB for the first three RECHARGES.

I activated the SIM and used the data. Recharged first time - $30 for 35GB ... used that. Recharged second time - $30 for 35GB ... used that. Recharged third time on 26/4/2020 - $30 ... and data ran out in 2 days - when checked the account I had only received 10GB data.

After getting messed around with the MyOptus App messaging last night and - it took us 16hrs to work out that service is only relevant for post-paid accounts - I was told to call the pre-paid phone number. After 30 minutes on hold, the lady from the Philippine call centre abruptly, and quite rudely told me that the original activation was the first recharge and I had used my 3 recharges prior 26/4/2020 when I topped up with an additional $30 ... how can that be???

The word recharge means to charge again. 

The information directly from the Critical Information Summary says: "On first three recharges and must occur within 90 days of activation. Data reverts to standard inclusion after 3rd recharge."

Can someone tell me if I have misinterpreted this?

To me in simple english, it's pretty clear. You buy the SIM card for $30 with data preloaded ... that is not a recharge. You then should be able to recharge: once (extra $30), twice (another $30) and finally (the last $30) before the SIM goes to standard data inclusion. 

I wouldn't have recharged for $30 third time if i knew I'd only get 10GB. My daughter would, and did, burn through that with her online lectures in a couple of days. I feel ripped off and, if the call centre customer service representative is right ... I feel like Optus is engaging in misleading and deceptive conduct. 

I also have a postpaid Optus SIM and one other prepaid Optus SIM and have been handing over more than $120/mnth to Optus just to keep the internet going so my daughter can continuing studying during COVID-19.

Can someone clarify before I lose my patience and start devoting time to Optus bashing whenever and wherever I can.

5 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Prepaid Bonus Data ... 3 x 'recharge' SCAM

@JasonAnfield wrote:

The information directly from the Critical Information Summary says: "On first three recharges and must occur within 90 days of activation. Data reverts to standard inclusion after 3rd recharge."

Can someone tell me if I have misinterpreted this?

Nope. You're interpretation is perfectly reasonable. And that how I would certainly interpret it.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@JasonAnfield @YetAnotherAcc 

I agree with the interpretation also.

You could try an email to hidden  
or write a letter to 
Optus Customer Relations Group
PO Box 306 Salisbury South 5106

https://www.optus.com.au/support/feedback-and-complaints

I am an Optus user.
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks @YetAnotherAcc - I can't see that 'hidden' email address - how do i see it (it was saying not valid in my email client) - or can you email it to me at hidden
0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Ooops ... should have been @Tigers1719 I can't see that 'hidden' email address - (it was saying not valid in my email client) - or can you email it to me at j.anfield"at"iinet.net.au
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@JasonAnfield 

https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/feedback-and-complaints/lodge-a-complaint#yourIssues

Go to this link down the bottom of the page Complaint Policy  it is a link email address is inside the page.

I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos