cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Premium Sms without consent

Over the last few months, one of my accounts has been constantly recieving sms's saying they have subscribed to a service, these are a broad variation of subscriptions but they just looked like scams. looking back at my bills, I have been slugged over $250 in these subscription services over three bills. My account when we signed up to Optus should have had a block on any premuim SMS as this was asked of us when we signed up. Question one is how can this actually be allowed to happen? not one of these sms specify where they were sent from, they just signed up without confirmation. Question two, is it possible a person is using this phone number and somehow have it attached to some of their accounts, e.g. we get sms's from subscriptions such as lottoland, and petbarn that have been comming in since day one. Just wondering if the previous owner could still be attached to this phone number. Question three as i see this as a fraudulent activity and unauthorized transacion on my account, how can i get them ro return the money they have taken?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Premium Sms without consent

Its a legal scam. search this forum on 'premium' and you'll find you're not alone. Also that its fairly easy to reverse.

1. Send STOP to the numbers involved.  

2. Contact Optus and get your Premium SMS limit set to $0 (Stops it happening in the future)

3. Tell Optus to refute the charges (The scam only takes money from those that don't notice)

4. You should have your money recredited on the next bill.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors