cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Premium SMS SCAM !

One-click subscription to "Premium Services" via spam SMS messages are prohibited under the telco industry recommendations:

1. Ring the telco and ask for the money to be refunded. Ignore suggestion to get money back from scammer, that never works.
  2. If unsuccessful during the call, mention a complaint to TIO (Ombudsman).
  3. Check telco invoice(s). If still unsuccessful, place on-line complaint to TIO, that helps to get the lost money back. Record reference number. Use it later to escalate complaint.

Forget contacting ACCC, ACMA, ACORN, Scamwatch, Scamnet, etc. as all they do is keeping scam statistics, they will not investigate and all they send you is an automated response. The TIO will get your money back.

Telstra and Optus are now claiming these "One-click subscriptions to Premium Services" will stop this month; better late than never.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@domwild

"The regulations around so-called premium SMS services often require what is known as a double opt-in." 

That 'often require' seems it might allow a few loop holes. Optus have just publicly acknowledged some Premium SMS Services are to be suspended so hopefully this issue will not be one after Christmas.

I'd suggest changing you're advice from asking for a refund to asking Optus to refute the charges. A few customers have done themselves a disservice IMO by insisting on a refund when the usual procedure require Optus to raise an objection with the service, get no response? and then Optus will recredit the amounts. This can take a few days.

Hopefully Optus recent announcement will also mean all customer staff are now aware of how to handle this vexatious issue.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi petergdownload,

I am afraid you are mistaken by mentioning the word "often". The telco industry guidelines clearly state "dual verification" via opt-in/opt-out is required if you read the comments in the 53 pages on the Whirlpool forum. It is clear a massive fraud has been committed by the telcos with their SPAM SMS SCAMS over the years and I am sure Maurice Blackburn might be interested in a class action to retrieve those funds.

0 Kudos
New Contributor renkou
New Contributor

i get some scam recently too

RetiredModerator Tano
RetiredModerator

Hey @renkou, we can take a look into this for you. Send through a private message confirming the following details:

- Full name

- Phone/account number

- DOB

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor renkou
New Contributor

Few days ago I got one strange sms from unkown number about optues give me some money. I checked that number and understood that it was sent from another country -Belgium. Country code was +32. I used one service on https://areaphonecodes.com/belgium/ I deleted that sms, because I thought it was scam. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@renkou, sorry I'm just a bit confused. Did you establish that wasn't actually a scam? 

Would you still like us to go in and take a look? We're happy to do that for you. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos