New Contributor Hollywood_jitz
New Contributor

Re: Premium SMS SCAM !

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nam_L
RetiredModerator

Morning @Hollywood_jitz,

Really sorry to hear the matter has been going on for such a long period. If you could, can you please PM me with your mobile number, full name and DOB? I'll escalate this to the 3rd party provider who will look into this further and contact you if required. 

Cheers, 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Hollywood,

Just contact Optus and ask for your money back, it is the Telco taking the money. The scammer may or may not refund the money. If Optus does not refund the money, mention TIO (Ombudsman), that helps.

Telstra's Manila HQ gave me my $20.20 back a German scammer had ripped off.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Hollywood_jitz
New Contributor

I've contacted Optus 3 times & 3 times they have said they are not liable.. what absolute BS... they accept charges and happy to pass them on no question fully aware it's a scam and they don't stop but yet also happy to take the money and throw their hands on the air sayin "we need to follow it up with the people who have scammed us" as far as I'm concerned Optus are just as bad.. I have made a complaint to the TIO.. Optus should be the ones amending these issues and crediting their customers...

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

OPtus generally reverts the charges - plenty of posts to that effect here. 

Can only suggest you try again and hopefully get a more enlghtened customer service person (you'll likely get a moderator posting here in the next 24 hours who will also be able to follow up). 

Make sure you request your Monthly Premium SMS Limit is set to $0 - Optus should do this by default - it would save a LOT of agro.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nam_L
RetiredModerator

Thanks for the feedback @petegdownload. I appreciate your sentiments and will pass your feedback onto the relevant teams. We do have customers that do utilise this functionality as well, especially when it comes to TV competition (SMS or voting). In either case, your feedback is valid so I'll pass it on. 

@Hollywood_jitz Thanks for sending the PM.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sounds good. Optus customers have to login in and navigate to a web page to enable data free Netflix on their account (something with zero down side). No reason why customers who valued premium SMS couldn't do the same and opt into the risks.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Hollywood,

If you get into the Whirlpool Forum, which is a communication forum, just search for "Premium Services Scams" or similar and you will find 50 pages of misery and complaints about all telcos on this one particular topic. If we assume 20 entries/page, then we have here 1,000 complaints. Even after the STOP SMS, some scammers are still charging monthly fees.

Our politicians have to legislate for opt-in/opt-out (dual verification) to stop this one-click/opt-in scam, so I have contacted my local member (Hastie, Canning WA), but all I got was an apology from Telstra Manila. I have even been desperate enogh to contact Georgianas MP, Hanson, Wyatt MP and the Xenophon Team to get legislation going.

For Optus to ask customers to contact the scammers is not on as that is a waste of time and you may never get your money back.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

To the Hon. Mr Georganas MP,  Hon. Mr Hastie MP, Hon. Ms Hanson MP, Hon. Mr Xenophon MP, Hon. Mr Ken Wyatt MP,

In the "West Weekend" magazine of 27/28 May 2017 a Mr Rhys Winterburn of City Beach relates the story of having received SMSs at 1:31 AM from within Australia, which is not unusual, as he is running a business 24/7. They were SPAM SMS scams and he was charged for them. Telstra Business told him that it is legal, which is correct! He then had to change his phone number and put a block on those "Premium Services". As a pensioner I have also been scammed by a German scammer called ORDANDUU GmbH, but after ringing Telstra and mentioning the TIO (Ombudsman) I received a refund.

My complaint to the Hon. Hastie MP resulted in an apology from Telstra's HQ in Manila, but these scams are still ripping people off and all telcos are into this money spinner.

The Federal agencies, like ACCC, ACMA, ACORN with their web sites like "Scamwatch" or "Scamnet" just inform users not to click on those spam SMS messages, but this is not good enough, it needs legislation. Hints from those web sites, like sending an SMS message with the word "STOP" are also not sufficient to stop further monthly charging for the "subscription".  Ringing the telco and mentioning the TIO is the only way to get a refund.

At the moment this charging is perfectly legal as clicking on an SMS becomes an automatic "Subscription to Premium Services".

Would it be possible to legislate double verification via opt-in/opt-out to ensure not only the ripping-off of customers is stopped, but also lightening the load on the Telecom Industries Ombudsman (TIO), who is receiving an ever increasing load of complaints about those "Premium Services" scams?

Yours faithfully,

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi mod,

That might be so, but really the site   optus.com.au/premiumsms      on the envelope of the new SIM card should give a link to a site, which bars all scams, not just say, send "STOP". This is incorrect info! Clicking means a subscription to "Premium Services" and leads to monthly charges from that scammer. The customer is stuck then. It will bar any following scams, but will still lead to monthly charges. 

0 Kudos