cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor 3T
New Contributor

Premium SMS SCAM !

Anyone got money stolen again by some kind of unauthorised subscription ( to Waala Mobivillage) since Feb 2017?

I have now replied STOP to stop that unauthorised subscription. However everyone, what have you done to get your money back?

I had not agree to authorise nor had ever subscribed 3rd party content but this entity just started charging me $6 per week!

I did some research saying it was on the news back in 2015, same entity, and then Optus support always just replied with "setting your content service spend to $0) to avoid futher (instead of taking it in action to stop such stealing by its "trusted" third-party?!)

26 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Premium SMS SCAM !

I would suggest that the support staff don't have much say in how the premium sms system is implemented so the only advice they can give is to change the minimum spend to zero.

You could give billing and accounts a call if you wish to challenge these charges or with a bit a luck a mod may see this post and attempt to help you out.

Moderator Casey_

Hey @3T, If you believe you never subscribed to the Premium SMS service we can raise a dispute with the content provider, they will give you a call to discuss the charges within 2 business days. If you would like a call back can you please send us a PM with your mobile number, full name and DOB for privacy? We can also set the content spend limit to $0 for your service, essentially blocking any future Premium SMS charges.

0 Kudos
New Contributor 3T
New Contributor

Hi Casey, thank you for the reply.

I definitely have not approved for any subscription with them nor any other content providers as i don't use such service anyway.

I appreciated that you mention you can raise a dispute for me and to contact me but i do not feel safe to PM you my details as i cannot confirm whom i am communicating with. 

Can this be done with the online chat or a advertised and trusted contact number i can call to dispute? Thank you.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Just fled from Telstra after they scammed me out of $20.20 with a one-click/opt-in subscription to "Premium Services".  My scammer was a German co. with name ORDANDUU GmbH. The only way to get your money back is to contact the telco and they all are doing it and if the telco does not forward the money, then mention TIO, that helps.

Contact your local MP to change the legislation to dual verification via opt-in/opt-out with fines. Forum Whirlpool has 48 pages so far on those SPAM SMS SCAMS. Forget a class action, this scam is still perfectly legal.

domwild

RetiredModerator PhilC
RetiredModerator

Hi @3T there should be no issues doing this over the phone with our billing and care team on 133937 or chatting with them live here → http://yesopt.us/chat2us. Alternatively you can set your premium spend limit to $0 yourself online via My Account, I've attached some information that will walk you through the process here →https://goo.gl/K0Q9kh. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi Moderator,

Thanks for all the info. This info you are stating should be written on the envelope containing a new Optus SIM card. The link there gets you to a page, which just tells you to send "STOP" to "unsubscribe" to a service one never has subscribed to knowingly in the first place. Some scammers even charge excessively for this SMS, more scamming!

Only by joining YesCrowd, searching for "Barring", searching for "Live Chat", which tells me it does not work, then clicking "Solved" did I get a link to "Live Chat" and was able to get someone to set the limit to zero. As a brand new Optus customer I have spent and wasted a lot of time on this exercise after having been scammed by Telstra to the tune of $20.20 and contacted the TIO. I got my money back as I saw the loss in time.

This time wasting is an insult to a new Optus customer, who fled Telstra.

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@PhilC

The user online process you mention currently seems offline. I detail it at the end of this thread here

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @domwild, Live Chat is also integrated into the My Optus App if you need it in the future. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor Hollywood_jitz
New Contributor

I have just also found out I've being getting charged since Feb, spoke to customer service about a refund they just gave me the number to the people who have scammed me in the first place to ask for a refund! What a joke! Optus are happy to charge you without consent to a third party. As far as I'm concerned Optus are the ones taking our money so they should refund it! I have put in a complaint to the tio... no sure if I trust talking to the third party provider and asking the people who have scammed/stolen your money for a refund..