cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Premium SMS (PSMS), FreeMsg: Buzzobee Subscription????

FROM THE WHIRLPOOL COMMS. FORUM - 52 PAGES OF "PREMIUM SERVICES" COMPLAINTS
Whirlpool Enthusiast

I had Optus block premium SMS from my account, but it seems they still forward my number to these scammers, because now they have started phoning me and asking me to call them back on 1300886534 (scam number do not call) and providing a reference number claiming they are from "[unintelligible] mobile". I have automatic audio call recording and it seems they are intentionally making the first word impossible to understand.

Just contact Optus and ask for your money back, simple. If that is unsuccessful, mention an on-line complaint to the TIO (Ombudsman). Forget Scamwatch, Scamnet, ACCC, ACMA, ACORN, etc., all they do is send back an automated message. The TIO will get your money back.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

COPIED FROM THE WHIRLPOOL FORUM - 52 PAGES OR 1,000 COMPLAINTS RE "PREMIUM SERVICES"

"I had Optus block premium SMS from my account, but it seems they still forward my number to these scammers, because now they have started phoning me and asking me to call them back on 1300886534 (scam number do not call) and providing a reference number claiming they are from "[unintelligible] mobile". I have automatic audio call recording and it seems they are intentionally making the first word impossible to understand." END OF QUOTE

Contact Optus again if you did not get your money back. Mention three letters, namely T I O (Ombudsman) and place an on-line complaint if the money is not refunded.

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

We are going through this process as well. Spoke with someone from Optus twice. First time they said they have blocked them and will get a refund - still getting billed and messages. Second time on chat, felt like I was being delayed and asked to verify my account again and again, was bizarre. Never even addressed the issue.

I just don't know why they would give out numbers to these shams - now I am having my 14 year old getting sales calls because they have sold her number.

Contact TIO is my suggestion. Giving out numbers willy-nilly to others so you can make some extra money is a bad practice.

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Telstra have canned this service for all their customers. Camon Optus please do the same!! What a shame that Optus didn't take the leadership role in stamping out this kind of dodgy business dealing.

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Is saying that, I had a chat with Optus officer and they fixed it  on the spot and cleared up all the premium services bill component out of my bill, thank Optus, that was a nightmare to think about it.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sorry Didi, Telstra was supposed to stop the one-click subscription to "Premium Services" according to some papers, but that is not true. I have left Telstra and moved to Optus after having been scammed for $20.20 by a German scammer ORDANNDU GmbH.

If you read the Whirlpool forum, it looks like every single telco has sold customer details and then you end up with so-called "click farms" on the Thai/Cambodian border with xhundred mobiles and SIM cards. 

Worse, a whole army of federal public servants in the ACCC, ACORN, ACMA, Scamwatch, Scamnet, etc. and even state police tell you not to click and long on-line complaints receive an automated reply and spam scam statistics are kept but no enforcement.

The TIO is the only active agent to retrieve your money back to you.

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus told me lies about blocking this service and charge me $45 and ask me to call the scammers as well. 

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

They scam me for $45. Scamming (edited by moderator due to language use) Optus

0 Kudos

Really sorry about the delay in getting back to you there @Dikididik. Since this post have you had a chance to chat to our Web Chat teams to look into this for you? If you weren't aware that you have been subscribed to them, what I can do is place a barring on it for you and raise a case so that they can get in contact in regards to those charges. Can I get you to send through your full name, DOB and number via this link → here. Can appreciate that you are frustrated in this regards but we're definitely here to assist in whatever way we can - please be mindful of the language used in your posts to us - I have moderated your comment as a result of this. Further breaches of our T&C's may prevent you from posting to us (here). 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I thank you all who helped, and I'm pleased to say that my issue has been solved. I thought I'd summarise it all for those who have the same issue with unwanted premium SMS (PSMS) subscriptions. 

Step 1: contact Optus

I know many people don't get the issue resolved at the first contact, luckily I did. Just make sure you keep your communication record and ask for A REFERENCE NUMBER (very important, so they know that you are serious, and it's easy to follow up later if your issue has not been resolved). BE CLEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT. I know you'd be upset, so was I. But those customer services can't respond to your complaints, so tell them to:

1, to stop all PSMS service,

2, get your account refunded, and

3, get a reference number.

The simpler you make your conversation, the better chance you have to get it solved. I normally contact the online chat, it has always worked for me.

Step 2: TIO (Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman)

www.tio.com.au/

Contact TIO only if Optus failed to get you the refund. I was lucky I got the refund within the same billing period, it may take longer.

Step 3: Your credit card provider

In extreme cases, very unlikely, that TIO can't get you the refund, you may try to dispute the charge with your credit card provider. (if you pay your Oputs bills with your credit card), or if you don't want to go through the process with TIO. Most of the credit cards have Purchase Protection, and most people don't pay attention to it. You will be amazed how efficient they are.