cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted

Re: Premium SMS (PSMS), FreeMsg: Buzzobee Subscription????

Really sorry about the delay in getting back to you there @Dikididik. Since this post have you had a chance to chat to our Web Chat teams to look into this for you? If you weren't aware that you have been subscribed to them, what I can do is place a barring on it for you and raise a case so that they can get in contact in regards to those charges. Can I get you to send through your full name, DOB and number via this link → here. Can appreciate that you are frustrated in this regards but we're definitely here to assist in whatever way we can - please be mindful of the language used in your posts to us - I have moderated your comment as a result of this. Further breaches of our T&C's may prevent you from posting to us (here). 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I thank you all who helped, and I'm pleased to say that my issue has been solved. I thought I'd summarise it all for those who have the same issue with unwanted premium SMS (PSMS) subscriptions. 

Step 1: contact Optus

I know many people don't get the issue resolved at the first contact, luckily I did. Just make sure you keep your communication record and ask for A REFERENCE NUMBER (very important, so they know that you are serious, and it's easy to follow up later if your issue has not been resolved). BE CLEAR ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT. I know you'd be upset, so was I. But those customer services can't respond to your complaints, so tell them to:

1, to stop all PSMS service,

2, get your account refunded, and

3, get a reference number.

The simpler you make your conversation, the better chance you have to get it solved. I normally contact the online chat, it has always worked for me.

Step 2: TIO (Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman)

www.tio.com.au/

Contact TIO only if Optus failed to get you the refund. I was lucky I got the refund within the same billing period, it may take longer.

Step 3: Your credit card provider

In extreme cases, very unlikely, that TIO can't get you the refund, you may try to dispute the charge with your credit card provider. (if you pay your Oputs bills with your credit card), or if you don't want to go through the process with TIO. Most of the credit cards have Purchase Protection, and most people don't pay attention to it. You will be amazed how efficient they are.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi,
Best to advise customers to ignore the telco's advice to contact the scammer to get the money back.

1. Call telco to refund money, if unsuccessful suggest on-line complaint to TIO (Ombudsman)
  2. If  still unsuccessful, contact TIO on-line, note reference number of automated reply.
  3. Check invoice(s) for refunds, if unsuccessful, escalate complaint to TIO with previously recorded reference number.

As a taxpayer I am upset at the waste of my money by ACMA, ACCC, ACORN, police, Scamwatch, Scamnet, etc. in asking us to submit long on-line complaints for the keeping of scam statistics, but definitely no other action. The TIO will get your money back, but will also not investigate. Telstra now claims that scamming has stopped. I am watching the Whirlpool comms forum if that is correct.

In my desperation I have contacted MP Hanson, MP Xenophon, MP Hastie, MP Georgianis and MP Wyatt to get federal laws enacted to have double verification via opt-in/opt-out establised with fines and compliance action.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Posted by 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No, I'm not an Optus employee. I'm not saying they always get everything right, and always answer my enquiries at the first contact. As a collaborate of people's work, I see a fair effort. I've had issues handled by operators who didn't really know what they were doing, but problems get solved eventually. I guess it depends on which operator you reach and your luck as well. I saw a post asking you to contact them again. One thing that I can be sure is that I didn't call any 1800 number, Optus can request a refund for you. However, if you don't trust them anymore, I guess you can contact TIO or dispute the extra charge with your credit card provider if you have used one to pay your bill. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I had the exact same thing! From a post on Facebook about stupid baby names, I clicked next a few times, then I got that exact same text message, it deducted the exact same amount from my prepaid credit! How many thousands of people have they scammed this way?! It's a small amount so most people probably reply "stop" and forget about it. They are basically stealing thousands of dollars from people! I'm furious about it! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for that. I have contacted Hanson, Georgianas, Xenophon, Hastie( my MP), Wyatt, all Federal MPs. Only Hastie got me an apology from Manila Telstra, but no cessation.

Telstra now claims an end to this SPAM SMS SCAM business by December 7, but they have launched similar articles to the press before. Optus ist still going full-bore with scams.

It gets worse, it is not only the ACCC with Scamwatch, there is ACORN, ACMA (?) with Scamnet, ACCAN and they all get you to fill in long on-line scam reports to keep statistics, BUT will not investigate and fine. Waste of public money via tax-consuming public servants. The TIO will get your money back, but they will also not investigate. It will cost the telco $30 for each on-line complaint.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I called optus about a different issue, mentioned the scam amd they stopped psms and refunded charge on my next bill.

But because it happened in the first place I won't be staying with optus when my plan is up.

Just a really crap way to treat and scam customers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi,

I think i got the same problems.

(1)FreeMsg: Your subscription to Winneroos costs $10.00/wk charged to your mobile account. Opt-out send STOP to 19789056 HELP:1300550796

(2)FreeMsg: Your subscription to Aworld costs $9.99/wk charged to your mobile account. Opt-out send STOP to 19789158 HELP:1300171713 http://au.gamesshop.mobi/

(3)FreeMsg: Your subscription to Buzzokey costs $6.99/wk charged to your mobile account. Opt-out send STOP to 19789226 HELP:1800793904 http://au.buzzokey.mobi/

From this 3 message, I charged over $100 in two months.

I would like to  stop and get money back about this.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Best to ignore the telco's advice to contact the scammer to get the money back

1. Call telco to ban all premium SMS/MMS and to refund money, if unsuccessful suggest on-line complaint to TIO (Ombudsman)
  2. If  still unsuccessful, contact TIO on-line, note reference number of automated reply.
  3. Check invoice(s) for refunds, if unsuccessful, escalate complaint to TIO with previously recorded reference number.

As a taxpayer I am upset at the waste of my money by ACMA, ACCC, ACORN, police, Scamwatch, Scamnet, etc. in asking us to submit long on-line complaints for the keeping of scam statistics, but definitely no other action. The TIO will get your money back, but will also not investigate. Telstra now claims that scamming has stopped/will stop by December 7 2017. I am watching the Whirlpool comms forum if that is correct.

In my desperation I have contacted MP Hanson, MP Xenophon, MP Hastie, MP Georgianis and MP Wyatt to get federal laws enacted to have double verification via opt-in/opt-out establised with fines and compliance action.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors