cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor soooyy
Occasional Contributor

Premium SMS (PSMS), FreeMsg: Buzzobee Subscription????

I was on Facebook reading an article this weekend. I clicked the button below a picture to move onto the next page. Suddenly I saw a notification says I was successfully subscribed. Usually, I would ignore that and move on, but I received the text below immediately:

FreeMsg: Buzzobee subscription costs $6.99/wk to your mobile account for 160 Mobile Games. Optout send STOP to 19789225 HELP:1800793904. 

Below the message was a link. I looked it up, and went to Optus and set my Premium SMS spend control to $0 on Monday. However, I can see this scamming service on my transaction list! My question is: will it be on my bill, or do I need to send STOP as instructed in the message.

This is so frustrating, I know $6.99 is not a lot of money, but this is a disgusting scam, should never be allowed.

Tags (1)
36 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Premium SMS (PSMS), FreeMsg: Buzzobee Subscription????

Sending stop wont make any difference.

ACCC lets this happen, because apparently, it used to be much worse. You have set your premium spend to $0, which is a good step.

Since you have caught it early, you would be mainly progressing to remove this charge, due to "principle". The moderators here will help you with that.

Occasional Contributor

I made contact with Optus, they advised they've made a complaint see if they can get a refund, they also blocked my PSMS services. Why can't it be this way by default if Optus was aware of this issue?

I've been with Optus for 10 years, this is the first time it's ever happened...I did not have any intentions to subscribe, neither I knew what the heck the subscription was for at all. When I searched online for solutions, I saw many others who's been charged for ridiculous subscriptions under the similar types of PSMS services. ACCC should not allow this...

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Optus get a cut of the fee, so they have no ability to set the premium spend to $0 by default. They are literally helpless.

Many have said they got in touch with Optus via the usual channels and nothing happened.

New Contributor Becg
New Contributor

The exact thing happened to me and dispite trying every avenue to speak to Optus I have gotten nothing, seriously try talking to someone. The only way to speak to a human is pretending your buying something. I have spoken to the telecommunications ombudsman three times and recommend you do this. Not that Optus seems to care, but hopefully if enough of us do so the inconvenience will force optus to take responsibility for the access they allowed to our account and information. Google the telecommunications ombudsman 

New Contributor Koptus
New Contributor

This happened to me too. I hadnt even realised what it was until after I had clicked on it, i replied stop to message straight away, so was subscribed for about 30 seconds but still charged. What an absolute joke and hardly seems legal.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Send this to the federal communications minister. One letter is not going to do anything, but when they keep getting spammed with the same email, they might notice.

http://www.minister.communications.gov.au/mitch_fifield/contact

Dear (insert federal communications minister, or local member),

Something you need to outlaw, because it will just keep going, until you do.

Optus and Telstra are still passing people's mobile numbers to affiliate scammers, who then send premium SMSes, costing $7+ to the unwitting victims. Months later, after the victims wake up, they then waste the TIO and ACCC's time, trying to figure out how they've been scammed.

The victim can be browsing on a junk game site, using a mobile phone, and accidentally put their finger on an advert, and this is decreed by Optus and Telstra to be a fair signup to that premium SMS service. The victim never considers the possibility that they have signed up to anything, because they are blissfully ignorant that Optus and Telstra are deliberately sending their mobile phone number to the scammer in every web request, using "HTTP header enrichment".

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2418905

When you get a post paid account with Optus or Telstra, there is no warning that you even have a premium SMS facility.

(1) Contract law must be improved, so that people have a clue that they are signing up to a paid service

(2) Premium SMS, should be OFF by default, and obvious in the account.

ACCC isn't going to do anything about it, so politicians have to.

(insert name and address here)

Moderator Aman_B

Hi @soooyy, looks like you have been subscribed to a premium service. . Could you please PM me Here  your full name, mobile number and date of birth so I can look into this? We may need to have this investigated by the content provider. We can restrict further charges for premium services on our end. Once that is done there won't be further charges. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Moderator Aman_B

So sorry on our late reply to your post @Becg, we've been a tad busy lately! I hope that since posting you've been able to get in touch with someone to help out with this? . If you’d like to chat to us right now, you can chat with our Live Chat team here: http://yesopt.us/chat2us. Otherwise, if you’d like us to still help you here, we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Becg, thanks for that. I think I will bring it up with the TIO if I couldn't dispute the charge with Optus. I was advised by Optus that they "raised a complaint and requested a refund", and "the complaint may take about 10 business days to be actioned and may take about 30 days for it to be applied" to my account. By then, they would have already direct debited from my credit card.

I agree with you that we shouldn't just ignore it, I will bring it to TIO's attention and will dispute the extra charge with my credit card provider too. 

Top Contributors