cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Preconnect

We have 3 mobile broadband modems.
We recently switched from Telstra to Optus as there is an Optus tower close by. We are using so much more data now we are with Optus. We have all these preconnect charges that we have no idea what they are. This is becoming a very expensive exercise. Telstra mobile broadband is more expensive and not quite as stable where we are but it is going to work out cheaper in the long run. One month with Optus and I have spent more than I did in 3 months with Telstra.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Preconnect

Is that a Prepaid Mobile Broadband plan @cheryle_phillip?

Are you seeing "preconnect " in your Data Breakdown? Preconnect is our 3G Mobile Broadband access point name (APN). The APN acts as your gateway between the Optus Mobile Network and the wider internet. 

Rather than having 3 separate Mobile Broadband plans, have you considered something along the lines of a Wireless Home Broadband service? We have 200GB and 500GB data options.

In saying that, there is a drawback. The service can only be used at home and not on the go (whereas Mobile Broadband plans are considered are a portable alternative. You can read more about the differences here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Dan,
Yes when I check the usage it says "preconnect". How do I avoid this excess usage??
We have mobile broadband as we are regional and I don't believe there is anything else available to us.
Cheers
Cheryle
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Again Dan,

PRECONNECT

Deducted from

09:26 pm

MyData

23.165 GB
This is what we are seeing.
We never used 30 GB of mobile broadband with Telstra in 6 days.
I just don't understand what is going on.
I don't want to keep going through this much internet every week, way too expensive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi cheryle_phillip,

In this situation being on a public forum we'll really need you to help us help you by telling us how your service was used at that time?

How many people were using the internet? What were they doing? Was there a software update on a device? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos