Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor BiscuitP1mp
Occasional Contributor

Post paid - Opt out of automatic data top up

Howdy,

I'm a new Optus customer. I had some obscene data usage yesterday, which saw $150 of additional credit added to my phone. I'm still trying to find out what happened, my mobile unfortunatley doesn't allow detailed data breakdown per app.

I'm super angry that I only received four (4) alerts, which arrived hours after the data usage occured. Optus added fifteen (15!!!) data packs to my service yesterday. I don't care if it's included in the T&C's, the fact I got limited warning about the data usage absolutely threw me in to a fit. 

The messages were also unclear, and confusing. One message was a warning that I was close to exceeding my monthly limit, then added a 1GB pack, followed by you have 7GB of data to be used, followed by you've used this now and we are adding more data.

I just about fell over when I saw my bill this morning. Telstra's data usage warning alerts are spot on, and frequent. Their widget updates a lot faster. My confidence in tracking my data usage with Optus is very, very limited now.

There needs to be an option to opt out of the automatic top ups. I don't know if there was a fault with the service, or if my phone's WiFi hotspot was compromised, I have no idea what the hell happened.

I'm taking this to the TIO and whomever else will hear me out. I'm an IT Professional and totally tech savvy, and I should be able to have more control over what credit and charges are "topped up" on my service.

21 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Post paid - Opt out of automatic data top up

This has become a hot topic my friend and I believe this is something that Optus should be taking action on. Not sure what happened with 7GB additional data message as you should only be receiving 1GB at a time. Have you logged a call to support about it?

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Extra-Forced-internet-for-10/m-p/192818

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yikes - sorry for the shock here, @BiscuitP1mp - really strange that you've receive usage alerts out of sequence 😞

I'm happy to give you a hand in identifying the source of the data consumption if you can send me a PM with your full name, DOB and mobile number? You can also confirm this by having a look at the data insights tab in the My Optus app. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Support and accounts teams were no help at all. They said that their systems hadn't updated yet with my usage and it was IMPOSSIBLE for them to help until the billing and data usage appeared in their systems.

I find it ludicrous as someone who has worked as an IT Professional, that I can get hourly text messages about my usage being exceeded, but the widget on my phone, and the information on my account are not equally updated per the alerts. When I did check, the widget and accounts didn't even match, sheesh!

I figured out what happened with my data, and I'm screwed really. I installed some software so I could do some freelancer work (new computer, hadn't been full configured). I calculated that I might have gone 2GB over the plan, but once the packages finished installing they pulled down a bunch of updates. Really pissed and made a complaint to the respective software companies that their estimated download totals were way off the actual required "full" downloads.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Nah, I got it under control now. 

I was using USB tethering. I'm waiting for cable service to be installed on 17/01/16. I'll be contacting Optus on Monday and requesting a show of good faith as a good customer and do some creative crediting on my account. $150 extra on my bill is a hard pill to swallow as a full time student.

I really am going to follow up with the TIO, ombudsman, however. The automatic top up should be subscribed to, not turned on by default and unable to turn off. Each customer is different and should be able to have this kind of control.

What if I had my phone plugged in, and a Windows update pulled down? I've got a 4G+ phone, data's absolutely screaming down.

To protect myself in future, I'm going to have install a third party app to block mobile data use once I've hit a certain threshold. My situation is unusual in that I usually don't have to rely on mobile data to get by, but hey, I can't knock back work. Unfortunatley most of the invoices billing will be paying off my phone bill now, d'oh!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hmm I am not sure what sort of phone you are using but both Apple and Android should have an internal data usage meter that will give you a good idea of how much data you are using. If you set it up to your billing cycle it can turn your data off when you get to the desired data limit.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Sorry to say BiscuitP1mp but on Post-Paid accounts, the usage of the service and the ability to go over what's included in the plan has always been within the user's control. The only difference here is that instead of being charged an expensive rate per MB (the last charges before we moved to $10 per 1GB, were $0.25 per MB) you're now charged in $10 per GB blocks. Even if this feature were turned off, you'd still be able to exceed the value in the plan, you'd just be charged at a different rate. Optus have never had an option for the service to be restricted automatically once you reach a pre-approved amount on and Post-Paid plan.The functionality you're looking for in a 3rd party app may already be inbuilt into your phone as @Yeldarb has mentioned above. If you were looking to have a plan that stopped once you're reached the inclusion limit, we offer a great range of Pre-Paid plans that have this feature. I can appreciate the frustration in not realising this sooner, however with the steps mentioned above, you should be able to keep the data usage within your expectations going forward. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hey Yeldarb,

My Samsung S7 will just allow me to set a threshold, but then it's down to me to to turn of the Mobile Data. So yeah, I'll just be looking at getting an app that can do that for me.

The situation is completely unique to me. I've never exceeded post paid plan data. Not even when I got my a iPhone 3G  😜

Thanks for your concern and offers of help.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

That's exactly my issue Shae. I don't have full control over the data plan on my phone in terms of the offered service, taking the device out of the equation.

I should be able opt to have my data stream just stop once a plan meets it's maximum. Give people real control and options. Everybody is different, want different options, have different jobs and income and readily available cash. One person is happy to exceed data, they can afford it, and they don't like not having mobile data. Then there's me, who can get by until I can access some WiFi or whatever. I want the choice for the automatic top ups to occur or not. It's not essential to me and to lump all customers in as being one and the same, with the same requirements is pretty lazy of Optus.

My situation was unfortunate. I was USB tethering to my computer to download some software, and what I precalculated was grossly misrepresented by the installers for the applications. Don't worry, I feel very stupid for leaving the download unsupervised whilst I went for some exercise. I've made a complaint to the software service, they've already been in touch to admit their installer represented the full download requirements weren't fully represented. I have no word on whether they are able or choose to help me out, but I think it's a long shot. I just want options, real control beyond my device.

Telling a customer who wants/needs options like this along the lines of "...but hey, we give you a better deal now on excessive data usage, you should be happy!" is just sleazy. "Hey it used to be horrible, it's such a better deal now!". Those data charges changed in response to the industry, broader complaints from customers and well, you can't be competivie if the Telco next door have better excess charge rates. 

"Sorry to say BiscuitP1mp but on Post-Paid accounts..." I don't know if you are an actual Optus staff member, but here's a tip in customer service from someone who's been in many customer service roles before. Never start a sentence with "sorry..." or "sorry to say". You immediately come across as giving me a light scolding of sorts. "Don't you know YOU are the one with the power? This isn't Optus fault, it's your fault".

I wish I could down vote your response. It's a robot reply with a "this is plainly your fault, but you could have done something about this because you can turn off your mobile data on your device, also if you do exceed data we don't sting you with horrible fees like we used to, oh we have a lovely range of pre-paid plans if you can't manage your data usage.".

You basically avoided any real conversation around the topic, so bravo, I know that's what you are meant to do *clap clap*.

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@BiscuitP1mp, I'm happy to take a look for you? If you could please PM through your full name, date of birth and mobile number? Thank you.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Top Contributors