cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Contributor white_rose2607
Contributor

Post Paid Plans: Why does unused credit not roll over?

I have 8GB of data and I have not used ANY of it this month, is there a specific reason that I can't have this carried over to the next month? It seems like a bit of a waste to me.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Post Paid Plans: Why does unused credit not roll over?

I hear what you're saying and would love this to. This is only my own assumption based off of what I've learnt on forums like this over the years but I believe it partly has to do with the network itself. Basically telcos control the amount of data going through their network by pricing it accordingly. IF they drop the prices of data, more goes through because people can afford more. If they increase, the opposite happens (look at vodafone a while back).

Now if they allowed data to roll over, they'd lost some of their control and could potentially put the integrity of their network at risk.

That's just my 2 cents though and given that pre-paid now offers data rollover, my thoughts are looking less accurate now. The other side of it as straight up money. Roll over means less money for them basically.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
New Contributor Jo9
New Contributor

I'd also love to be able to do this. Regarding your comments about pre-paid plans, are Optus planning on introducing something similar for their post-paid customers?
What about allowing a capped amount of data to roll over only to the next billing cycle? That would still allow some control.

Moderator Aman_B

Hi @Jo9, post paid plans don't have data roll over and this is something that's not going to be added but I'll certainly pass on your feedback to our mobile team. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Timbob
New Contributor

Could somebody explain to me why the extra data I am forced to purchased on a post paid plan is deleted when I have only had 24 hours to use it. Surely this data is not on my plan and is an additional slab of data that I have purchased separately to my plan 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Mike-N
RetiredModerator

I'm sorry @Timbob but this is explained in the Critical Information Summary that outlines your plan. It is not an additional slab of data purchased separately but instead a charge to cover up to 1GB of additional usage on top of your allowance. Your plan outlines that excess usage will be charged in 1GB increments at the cost of $10. If you're going over your plan at the end of the month, you may want to monitor closely your usage towards the end of your cycle, using both the usage alerts and the My Optus App. Some phones will also be able to set a limit on their usage. This setting can be found in the settings of most Android phones. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor white_rose2607
Contributor

If you go over your data regularly, another option would be to purchase a seperate sim and pay $25 per month for an extra 5GB. This is what I did, it is a lot better value them the data packs at $10 per GB. This data can be used across all your optus devices. Hope this helps 🙂

Highlighted
New Contributor jokhere
New Contributor

My unused data on Virgin (100% owned by Optus) rolls over each month, so I can't see any reason that Optus data does not roll over according to some of the forums I've read. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors