Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Sarah15
New Contributor
New Contributor

Possible scam???

I had a phone call saying they were from Optus billing and wanted to offer me 50% off my bill for 3months due to covid 19. Then me to verify my account with my personal details. I asked if she could tell me who I was, she responded I need you to tell me not the other way around.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Possible scam???

Yes its a scam.
And if it really was Optus then its being done in a very irresponsible way because it is encouraging people to give out their personal details to cold callers.
0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Sarah15Sounds like a scam, but Optus do sometimes call customers and unfortunately they are following a script and cannot deviate from the script even though it sounds like a scam and the script would be the same for a scammer.

If I want to take up the offer (do NOT give any personal info over the phone to anyone you do not trust) then I ask them for a reference number and Optus department to ask for when you call Optus using a publicly known Optus phone number (google the Optus phone number of rhe department or just use the 13 xxxxx or 1800 xxx numbers). If they do not want to give you a reference number or say you need to call Optus on a specific number then just hang up as it is a scam IMHO.

Aman_YC

Hi @Sarah15 - Thanks for reaching out to us here and reporting this. By the looks if it, its certainly not Optus and you did the right thing by asking the right questions. When not sure its always a good idea to ask the agents their name, where are they calling from and if you are still not sure then just call Optus at 133937 or you can chat with our messaging team from My Optus App help tab. 

We have a link here that shows some of the scams going around including this one. 

Please only reply on My Optus App or My account or any info you want to update or share or for any enquiries. 

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.
If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media account, please then Optus on Facebook or on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Unfortunately probably not a scam. Optus have a long history of unsolicited contacting of targeted customers to offer them special deals. Legally (privacy laws) they must confirm you are actually the account holder so they won't proceed until you identify yourself.

As your reaction and others in this thread (including an Optus representative) indicates this is exactly how scammers operate. That Optus still engage in this confusing and dangerous practice is something hopefully the ACCC end up fining them millions for one day.

Until then 50% off a bill for 3 months is not worth the risk (legit or otherwise).
0 Kudos
VinceTan
New Contributor
New Contributor

I received the same phishing call. The scammer asked for my DOB. Unfortunately I was silly enough to provide it. After that they said I will receive a pin via sms from Optus and to give it to them to verify. after the call I was suspicious so I logged in to my account and notice my email address has changed! I called Optus customer care to check if any unauthorised order was made on my account and Lo and behold, the scammers attempted to order a iPhone 12 Pro Max. I checked the delivery address and was not my mine. Lucky Optus was able to cancel the order immediately otherwise I would have paid the price….