Searching...

Mobile

Re: Port Virgin Mobile Number to Optus

Rhino4

Andylee, good to hear that you still have your Virgin service working - small blessings, as I understand your concern over a phone service that may stop without warning. They shut my Virgin service down last Thursday and have still not activated my Optus account.

Antman9000, I can still log in and it looks like it will let me pay the bill but I am not doing so until I can see the details of the bill. Looks like they may have charged me an excess data fee after the service was deactivated, so I cannot have incurred it.

On the subject of losing a number if the port is delayed, I managed to search up a document through the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman site that says numbers must be quarantined for 12 months, so there should not be a risk there. Touch wood it does not take Optus 12 months.

Re: Porting number from virgin and activating new sim

Seras

Hey Andy, 

Still nothing, my virgin services are still active. Was promised that he will start working on it first thing in the morning today, but no movement so far. Currently on day 7 since I requested the port with no status update and still calling from my virgin services.

With the same usual standard response to me from the past 7 days of the 9 or 10 agents saying the same thing that the port will happen XXXX? (insert whatever hours or days or minutes they promise the port will happen) that he or she will take full responsibility and will ensure it will be done etc. Other than the msg from the other agent having the severity raised to IT with the incident numbers.

Which really in my honest opinion doesn't mean anything to a customer even at a high severity, there is no timeline to resolve such a high incident, even if they do it's always different times when you speak to different agents. In fact actually, it angers and frustrates me even more that they now raise this as a high severity given there is already been a large impact to all virgin customers now.

When really they should have anticipated this and raised this earlier or have a system in place to cope with the large volume before announcing the news about Virgin Mobile. If Vodafone or Telstra was smart they should be targeting us right now and take this opportunity to counter offer Optus's plan now.  I'll be interested in jumping if they can offer similarly to Optus paying off the contract etc. I'm happy to sign a up a contract with Telstra or Vodafone for 2 years if they can guarantee to port me at least half of the time that Optus is taking right now!! 

PS. Just got a call from Optus customer service, the first time that Optus actually contacted me over the phone asking for my virgin account number. Which you would think they would have that information on my account since I have given to them at least 9 to 10 times almost to a point I have all those details on copy and paste basis just to paste in the chat window. Again they mention the time frame again my number will be ported in 24 hours. We will soon see! As well I saw one poor soul in this forum somewhere that they have been waiting for 4 weeks??? I wonder if they finally ported them. 

Seras

I really wonder how many virgin users are still waiting for their numbers to be ported. Again have 9 or 10 interactions with Activate chat team I had my first phone call from Optus customer service but asking for my virgin account number? You would think that they have this information already under my account after the 9 or 10 interactions. I even have all my details on a copy and paste basis as I'm sick of having to find all the information and retype this when they really should have recorded this information down. 

From the phone call I just had, he mentions my services will be ported in 24 hours. How many times have we all heard that through Chat that this was going to happen and now I'm on day 7? I hope it won't be coming to stage with another person in the forum is waiting to be ported for 4 weeks!! 

If it is going to take 4 weeks for any one of us to be ported, if Vodafone or Telstra are smart they really should start targeting us now. I'm sure a lot of us would consider going with either Vodafone and Telstra if they make their plans competitive enough to counter Optus plans! 

Highlighted

Rhino4

Seras, I agree with your statements. I am seriously considering going to Internode once the port to Optus occurs and just cancelling the Optus contract through Breach of Contract provisions. Only problem with that is, I will then be without a phone service for longer still and I do not trust Optus to get the handover correct either. Will be weighing this carefully before I decide.

Observation for the day - the letter I received with the sim card says "Activating your sim - it's easy to do".

Seras

Rhino4 what mobile network does Internode use? do they use Vodafone or Telstra?, I have read something on the net for some reason it's a longer process (maybe manual process) to port your number from an MVNOS (mobile virtual network operator) to a mainstream operator e.g. Optus, Telstra or Vodafone. 

If you are thinking of porting your number out of Optus to Internode if they are handled by another operator i.e. Vodafone and Telstra you might find that is far quicker and maybe automated process? Before I was with Virgin, I was with Vodafone and my porting was pretty much done in 2 hours once I had the SIM card from Virgin. 

Can Optus explain what is the exact process in detail in how the internal process work between Virgin to Optus? maybe it may help a little to give us "customers' some understanding rather than leaving us in the dark giving out random timeframes expectations and tell us it's been escalated with no update in how far this escalation has gone to so far? 

As well whats really starting to bug me about this post is that it's been flag as problem solved when it clearly probably hundreds of us are still waiting for the port to be done?? Can the moderator update this post as not being solved? 

Rhino4

Seras, I just checked and Internode uses the Optus network. $8 a month dearer and 9GB data instead of 15GB, which seems like a bad deal, but I have my NBN service with Internode and they are excellent - maybe the extra cost is worth it for decent service? I have just spoken with an operator, Don, on the Optus Sales Line and he has undertaken to have the SIM activated for me - but all he could do was contact the Porting Team again and they said to resubmit the order and it will be active in 24 - 48 hours (again - I have been hearing 4/24 hours to activation since Wednesday last week). He does seem to be trying to help and has undertaken to stay with it and keep me advised of progress. I can only hope. 

Seras

Rhino4, unfortunately, if you going to port again after going to Optus you probably back in the same situation. Since the "porting team" will be prioritising Virgin customers first so your risk on getting nothing again is pretty high. 

As we all know don't hold your breath in getting any done by today or tomorrow or whatever promises they made on the timeframe as it seems the whole Optus company is under the mercy of the "Porting Team" to get things done. 

The problem thing is that there is no incentive or urgency for Optus to get us through to their services asap. Since there is no alternative for us to go else especially those on Contracts that need to be paid off. Unless the following events happen:

1. Competitors provide counteroffers to Optus current offer to Virgin customers and willing to pay off our contracts. 

2. Impose some sort of compensation that scales up based on the number of days been delayed that should get them moving pretty quickly once they know there is a financial impact 

Re: Porting number from Virgin (taking way to long and consultants giving different timeframes)

Chaunce

I am in the same predicament, I rteceived my new SIM last Wednesday 6 June 2018 and have attempted to have it acvtivated on four different occasions I have had three CHATS with various agents, and have made two visits to Optus Stores.  I spoke with Jeremy at the Caloundra Store today and he seemed to have the technical know how to get the job dine and said that it would be okay in no longer than four hours.  Six hours later and still no service,  what is the problem lack of staff in the technical area, too many applications to port a Virgin number if so why make the offers on the Virgin account page offering a new 12 month contract.

Re: Porting number from Virgin (taking way to long and consultants giving different timeframes)

Sidrak

13th day today and counting!!!

I have 5 IT cases by now and 9 different ppl have asked same questions and activating my number!!

Spoiler
Smiley Sad

Rhino4

Sidrak, 13 days is ridiculous. So have they shut down your old service for that whole time too? My patience is exhausted. Optus have until 10am tomorrow to activate my service, or I will be initiating Action via the TIO to see whether I can have my number released and my contract cancelled. Link is http://www.tio.com.au/consumers for information.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
147 Kudos
123 Kudos
101 Kudos
99 Kudos
75 Kudos