cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Ren12a
Occasional Contributor

Porting number from Virgin (taking way to long and consultants giving different timeframes)

Hi,

I was with Virgin Mobile and am transferring to Optus. I've received my new phone and now am waiting for the porting to happen so my new phone is active. I've logged on to live chat 3+ times and also called the call centre twice. 

Everyone keeps saying it will happen in the next couple of hours - but it's been 48 hours and noone seems to have any new information, they just read the same script.

Tags (1)
164 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor paulcl
New Contributor

Porting to Optus & Phone Support Problems

I have been trying to port my number to Optus for several days and have been informed by the activation support people that the porting is "stuck", a technical term apparently. After speaking on the phone to 5 different people and also spending 90 minutes on the web chat with Brad who promised to call me back at 9.00am today (it's now 1.00pm and I haven't received a call) I am getting no assistance whatsoever. I have been placed on hold and left there for more than 30 minutes twice and hung up on once. I have requested multiple times to be put through to someone who can help me and this is refused.

Two of the help people have now told me that they have raised an IT Case but when that was offered today and I told him that was already done 2 days ago there was no record of the IT case being raised on my account.

Anybody had similar problems and been able to rectify? I bought a phone locked to Optus (although they deny it is locked to their network) without noticing the Optus part, dumb I know, and I am now committed to getting my number across to Optus so need to resolve this issue.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Moderator Tris

Re: Porting to Optus & Phone Support Problems

Hi @paulcl, this sounds really frustrating. My apologies your experience has so inconsistent. In this type of scenario, an IT case does generally need to be raised, the resolution time frame can take 5 or more days in some instances. Have you been provided with the IT case number? I can try and get an update for you 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor paulcl
New Contributor

Hi Tris 

It's interesting that you're timeframe on the IT car is up to 5 days when multiple representatives have told me over the phone that it is 24 to 48 hours maximum! 

While the issue of the delay in portng has been frustrating the issue of customer service is much worse and from reading this forum and other reviews the type of treatment I have received is common. 

When complaints sent to Optus via post with a, best case, 10 business day turnaround? Come on, this is 2018 everybody has access to email. This is avoidance plain and simple which is exactly what I got from "customer service". They try and say anything that comes into their head to get off the phone. I understand an issue may be beyond their expertise by it was the third or fourth call before anyone offered to raise an IT case and that was only after I insisted my porting issue be escalated. Furthermore, no representative would put anything in writing, again email comes into play here. They can say whatever they like as nothing is recorded and no notes are kept on the customer's account. 

Until your representatives are held to account for the information they are providing people there will be no change. 

I am so sick of hearing "I am sorry for your inconvenience" in a deadpan, could not care less tone. 

Moderator Tris

The information I've provided is just general based on the points you've made @paulcl. I can't comment on specifics around your case though. Regarding complaints, we think it's most efficient to speak with a Manager in the relevant team. Should you not be happy with an outcome, the Manager can refer you to a Case Manager in the Customer Relations Group. 

I can assure you Team Members are accountable for their actions. We have a stringent quality assessment process where call recording/chat transcripts are reviewed. Should there be an error with advice or a solution provided, the skill gap will be addressed by their Manager. This includes the accuracy of notes left on customer accounts. If there are multiple occurrences, formal performance management would come into play.

Regarding your request for email confirmation sent by Team Members, it's not always possible for new customers where an account has not been created yet. Emails can be sent through internal systems, not directly from their internal email account though. If you chat with our support teams online, a chat transcript can be provided. I appreciate your experience has been frustrating, it's worth pointing out, it's not normal though. We process thousands of ports every week

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor paulcl
New Contributor

Hi Tris

I agree that speaking to a manager would be the best way forward but my repeated requests for this to happen were ignored by every customer support person I spoke with. That is in the phone and on the web chat system. 

Every contact I have had has begun with a request for my details so they can access my account. Once my account has been accessed I have asked each time if they can check the notes from my previous contacts and there are none! 

Your responses are reasonable and it would be common sense for these types of pricks to be followed by this is the main reason for my complaint. Not one of these things that you mention actually happens, the staff clearly don't have an answer so I am passed along. Yesterday I was told I was being put through to a manager and wound up back at the beginning,  speaking with someone who was not a manager and not in any position to help.

I am sure what you are telling me is what you believe to be true but maybe you should try calling customer support sometime and see if things work like you have been told they work. 

Occasional Contributor wenz
Occasional Contributor

Port Virgin Mobile Number to Optus

Hi,

I am currently with Virgin and have purchased an Optus SIM card which I received today. I did the online sim activation and since Virgin is part of the Optus network, it asked me to click the Chat link. After being passed on and going through 3 agents, I was then told that because of issues porting numbers from Virgin to Optus, the process of porting now needs to be done via Optus shop or dealer.

I then received a text message saying my Optus service is now active and ready to use, tried the Optus SIM but this still isn't active.

So is porting now to be done through Optus dealers ? Just wanted to verify this  as the agents does not seem to have the same understanding of what needs to be done. It's frustrating as well as the Activation site asks you to open a chat link and you would expect that the agent who will accept the chat would know what to do straightaway.

thanks,

wenz

New Contributor Matt-P
New Contributor

I am also having a similar delay with porting. I started the process about 20 hours ago now. I woke up on the first morning to no connection, so I got back on the chat, and the "new" consultant said there was no record of me having asked for a number port.

He tried again for me about 9 hours ago, and then subsequently advised that the system was "overwhelmed" by porting requests (presumably from people like me, i.e booted Virgin Mobile customers) and he did not know how long it would take, but assured me the IT team would be working on it.

So now, no phone or text while I wait for the porting to happen. What I DON'T quite get is that no-one else seems to be aware that this is a problem, a classic case of left hand/right hand. If someone had just said "hey, there's a problem", I would have just left the Virgin SIM in there till things settled down.

Matthew P

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

We've been advised of the following:

There's a backlog of orders due to the popularity of the offers. The systems team are aware and are aiming to clear out all portin orders by close of business. They've added more backend resources to support the demand.

If the order hasn't gone through by this evening, send us a PM with your account details. We'll need you to fill out the template below:

Are you the primary account holder: Y/N

Your full name:

DOB:

Mobile number: 

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Matt-P
New Contributor

Thanks Dan, what's COB for you guys today?

MP

0 Kudos
Top Contributors