cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor AdamRom
Occasional Contributor

Porting from Virgin

This has been a truly awful experience. I have had no mobile phone service for 2 days, because in porting from Virgin to Optus, I have had no activated sim card from either carrier, and so no working mobile phone. 

I have been told 6 different reasons as to why my new SIM card has not activated:

1. The Virgin account was closed before porting.

2. Virgin's network is down. 

3. Optus's porting system is down.

4. My number is stuck in the system and its a known issue due to high volume Virgin transfers.

5. Apparently, I did not provide my date of birth when opening an account with Optus (despite credit checks?)

6. I needed to provide my Virgin account number.

For all of these different reasons, I was quoted between 15 minutes to 5 business days to have the porting completed. Each time I speak with a customer service rep, I have to start fresh (including being told my phone number is not associated with any account, and that there is no record of my issues - on my sixth call and with an IT case number in hand!)

I really hope this is resolved soon, or that my cooling off period is still open (I can't access my contract because my account apparently doesn't exist!). Not a great start to a new customer relationship.

8 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Porting from Virgin

That is not a great experience at all, AdamRom.

I'm afraid we're unable to access customer account details here on our public forum. What is the IT case number? That's something we should be able to follow up and request to escalate (which it should be already).

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ray. It's 454363, though when I quoted that to the support team, they had no record of it.

Also, add reason number 7 to that list. Apparently it was lined up to be ported on a fixed date (today) rather than the day I called and asked for it to be activated. Even if that is right, I'm still not activated.
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hmmm, that's not a IT ticket number. Maybe a reference number for a call?

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.  

Please let us know how you go.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Maybe. I was told it was my "IT case number" by the person who told me it had been escalated and that an IT ticket had been raised. This was the same person who told me a network outage was the cause of the delay.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Let's add reason number 8 to the list. The number is still in use with my old carrier!
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Reason no 9: It was stuck in the Optus billing system and a new request will take a further 3-5 days. This was after being bounced between 6 people in the space of 20 minutes and spending an hour on the phone in total. 

Completely unacceptable service. 

Occasional Contributor

This is now resolved - I think it had something to do with me lodging a complaint, though. However, I was also assisted by a very helpful billing team member this morning on some other teething issues with a new account. So, in fairness, the activation debacle does not seem representative of the overall Optus experience.
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Relieved to hear it was resolved and not delayed further. A rough start based on the 10 or so various possible reasons but should be smooth sailing from here!

0 Kudos