Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Jamie-2020
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Porting from Virgin Mobile

My wife and I both currently have Virgin Mobile prepaid long expiry plans and we would like to port our mobile numbers over to Optus Mobile long expiry plans but we can't find anyway to do this simply online? Virgin Mobile does have links to Optus but once on the Optus site there are no 'easy instructions' that we can find to effect the switch online (does that mean we will have to visit an Optus store?).  Any help you can give on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_YC

Re: Porting from Virgin Mobile

Hi @Jamie-2020

As Virgin Mobile has closed down, you may have automatically be transitioned to Optus. There was a certain date that would have been communicated to you, to complete a port if you did not want to be automatically transitioned.

Generally, the process would be purchasing an Optus Prepaid SIM card and activating it online. You will then be given the option to port your number and to select a plan.

You can try sending a text with the word 'Bal' to '9999' and it should let you know further details on your plan if it's with Optus.

Please note that we’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.

If you need further assistance, I'd suggest either visiting a local Optus store or calling us on 133 937, between Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm AEST or Sat: 9am - 5pm AEST, so we can look into this further for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Jamie-2020
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi George_YC

Thanks for the information.

Virgin Mobile won't finish for existing customers until 30th September but I understand that only those existing customers on an ongoing Virgin Mobile plan (rather than prepaid) will be automatically ported over to Optus?

It seems that the only solution, for us, will be to visit a local Optus store for assistance on the matter?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
George_YC

I did some further digging @Jamie-2020 and it does look like the auto migration is only for Postpaid customers, apologies.

Prepaid customers will have to port over their services manually to Optus or to a provider of their choice by the 30/9.

The quickest way would be by visiting a local Optus store as they can do it all on the spot for you, I would recommend going to a store if you had one close to you.

If not, you can visit our Activate your Prepaid SIM page with a Prepaid SIM kit purchased from an authorised retailer, just the port may take a little longer than doing it in-store.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.