Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor smargs
Occasional Contributor

Poor value Optus business plans

Hi.

I've been an Optus customer for ~15yrs & recontract 3x business services (2x new handsets & 1x SIM only plan) every 24-months. While there may be tax benefits to lease only plans, my preference is to own the phones. In past I've always received offers to sign up to new plans 3 months prior to expiry & have never paid handset or early termination fees when recontracting for a further 24 months. The only offer I had this time was the Family & Friends 25% discount for signup prior to 30/6 which according to the live chat rep was only for new phone servies & not recontracting existing customers. Indeed, I would also need to pay an early exit of $40 odd dollars (~20 days early). I asked her what my incentive to do so was? Hence I did not recontract my services.

Now my real gripe. Why are Optus' small business plans uncompetitive? I'd get 2x OPS 64GB S8+ @ $95/month which is a $75 plan with $20 handset fee & 1x $40 SIM only plan totalling 28GB shared data. With 3x services I get 15% discount off the plans (but not handset fees!). I also qualify for a $10 broadband discount. A simple calc yields $191.50/month totalling $4596 TCO over 24 months. Given I can pick up an XSA 128GB S8+ for $979 & with 3x $40 SIM only plans totalling 42GB shared data, the TCO works out to $4166. Historically, buying from Optus was usually $100-$200 to the better, not including extras like Netflix & Stan bonus subscriptions. Now we're talking a $400 premium. A competitor has the S8+ with 30GB data for $80/month...

I'm also still on Optus HFC & will need to sort NBN (Telstra/NBN HFC unfortunately) soonish. I dread CVC allocation given my current home/phone 100/2Mbit unlimited plan is better than any nbn plan.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Poor value Optus business plans

@smargs

I've posted a few comments on the heavy downside to Optus Lease. The plans are nominally identical to the current personal plans (in features). But then the lease downside kicks in:

1. Any damage to a leased phone must be repaired. It also must be repaired by Optus. (So if you lose or damage your phone you are just repenalised)

2. Leased phones get handed back to Optus at the end of the contract (or you have to buy them). Home plans you own the phone outright at the end.

So all the risks and you don't even own the phone for an $4-$8 a month off your $100 bill. People shouldn't lease optus phones and Optus is likely to find those that do end up as angry customers when then encounter the downsides.

---

Why do you say "Telstra/NBN HFC unfortunately"? There isn't such a thing a Telstra NBN - there's just a single NBN cable network and you can get either Optus or Telstra (or any ISP) to connect you to it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter. Like your work.

Agreed on lease plans. They front load the costs while back loading the depreciation. Consider $240 buyback after 24 months on a $1K phone. 😉 Having said that, for some, it may be "costless" to lease while still being poor value.

Re: NBN. It's unfortunate because my area won't get FTTP or even FTDP & given it was Telstra's HFC infrastructure prior to NBN acquisition. This area had both HFC networks available thereby splitting the inherantly serial load. Now we'll all be piled onto the single node, including those that were adsl customers of other providers. Performance will doubtless suck.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Just had a look at the 25% EOFY FAQ:

"Can you refer yourself?
Yes - if you’re already an Optus customer but are eligible to sign up to a new 24 month mobile plan you can refer yourself, provided you use your own unique referral code/link to add the service to your account. Referring yourself is a win-win situation because you’ll get 25% off your plan fees and $50 billing credit."

Already an Optus customer - check

New 24 month mobile plan - check

Provided with referral code to link to my account - check

What gives? Can someone from Optus clarify?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Let me answer my own query: general business plan exclusion. The simple solution was to temporarily port to another carrier or even change to a pre-paid consumer & then claim the EOFY or earlier family & friends discount. Case closed.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors