Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Poor reception, poor 4g coverage and speeds

TheFog

Hi

I've been with Optus for three months and previously with Telstra (15years). They both have the same coverage but with Optus I have no reception in buildings, shopping centres, carparks , and random areas. Very thrustating , could it be my phone?. I'm also trying to run a business and missing alot of calls. In regards to internet, it's very poor.

Re: Poor reception, poor 4g coverage and speeds

pwright

Yes, it could very well be your handset that is causing the issues.
What device are you using?

Ideally you need something that Supports 900mhz 3G and B28 - 700mhz 4G with VoLTE to get the Maximum Voice Coverage out of the Optus Network.  Depending on your Device, and the frequency bands it supports you may not be accessing the full potential of the network.  

Let us know the device you are using, and if its a Prepaid Handset, if you purchased it from another carrier like Vodafone or Telstra, as they often place firmware restrictions.   Have you also looked on the Optus Coverage Map to where you are having issues?

Highlighted

TheFog

I got the mobile with a plan from Optus. It's a galaxy S10+. 

pwright

The S10+ Supports all the Optus Bands, do you have a VoLTE logo on the top of the screen?

Have you had trouble making calls, or is it just showing less bars? Just because the coverage bar's are lower dosnt mean to say you have coverage issues either, different networks use different frequencys, and Optus maybe using higher frequency's then Telstra had used, meaning they have more base stations closer to each other.  For example, you may be using LTE 1800/2600 which only goes a lot less then say LTE700, which Telstra may have been using, meaning you may only get say 2 Bars of Coverage, vs 5 Bars of Coverage as it dosnt penetrate as well, but still have good call quality and data speeds, and they may have more towers on the higher bands, providing more capacity.

Do your calls drop out in certain areas, or having issues with data speeds?

TheFog

I have troubles making, receiving calls. Also when I'm on a call it drops out (I haven't experienced this since mid late 90s). When Optus says it has 98% coverage which is similar to Telstra (I live in the city) , but there's a big difference in the quality. For me to avoid any issues I have to be in an open area without any buildings to get clarity and reasonable 4g speeds. It's impacting my business, I'm not happy. 

Is there anything Optus can do? 

pwright

How long ago did you connect to the Optus Network with your handset? There is a coverage guarentee of in the first 30 days, you may be able to return your device and port out and just pay the usage charges.  It may be worth speaking to support first and doing some troubleshooting to make sure you don’t have a faulty device etc.

TheFog

It's not 30days, they have me 14days. I'm going to call and see how I can get off this 3rd world network

Solution

Ray_YC

Just a correction that the 30 days Coverage Satisfaction Guarantee is no more, it is now anytime.

Please see our Network page for more info including criteria.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
73 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos