cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor BenHasQuestions
New Contributor

Poor/no reception in Melbourne CBD 4G Zone

I'm having really bad signal coverage on the top floor (not tall) of a residential building in Melbourne CBD in Batman St near Flagstaff. I've just come from Tesltra a couple months ago and since switching my phone calls often cut out and lag while at home. While I've also had problems in my St Kilda office on and off.

I'm using a Samsung Note 9.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Poor/no reception in Melbourne CBD 4G Zone

Hmm I understand that buildings and structures have a big influence but I would have thought that whole area would be like sitting in a microwave. No issues with the local towers and no bizarre case or cover on your Note 9?

https://www.optus.com.au/about/network/service-status

Edit: I forgot to ask if under settings / mobile networks / network mode it's set to auto connect?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor phoneuser
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same problem. I transferred from Telstra and in Melbourne my phone has very poor reception. To the point that my calls to Optus have been cut off twice in ten minutes.

I've had a lot of problems with the service overall which has been disappointing.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
New Contributor KC96
New Contributor

I am also having this problem.

I recently switched to Optus from Telstra and the reception thus far has been atrocious. I am on the 8th floor on Collins Street and it took approximately 5 minutes for my phone to be able to load the Google homepage.

I'm using an iPhone XS and rarely ever have more than 1 bar of signal.

Is this something that Optus is looking into? I am regretting changing over from Telstra.

Occasional Contributor phoneuser
Occasional Contributor

Sorry to hear you are experiencing the same thing. On the one hand it's good to know it's not just me; on the other it means it's a real problem.

Have you raised this with TIO?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors