cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Cameron17
Occasional Contributor

Phone trade up and student discount incompatible

Is there any way at all that I can trade up my phone for a new device ($99 trade up deal) and apply the student discount advertised on your website?

From going instore and also speaking to the Optus chat support it appears that I can't have both, as the student discount can only be applied online and the trade up can only be done in store!

What kind of service provides plans with features that I'm eligible for can't be used in conjunction with each other?

Can you please provide some clarity around the situation as the Optus Chat Support representatives are thoroughly unhelpful.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Phone trade up and student discount incompatible

The phrase "Offer not to be used in conjuction with any other offer." isn't all that unusual?

I'm not sure but I think the student discount can be added any time after you have a plan in place. Ring up and ask them to apply it for you and it appears as a credit on your monthly bill? Could be wrong though.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Cameron17
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the part about not being compatible with any other offer- however I am of the understanding that the $99 trade up is a condition of my contract- as opposed to a promotional offer. 

I was also of the understanding that the student discount can be retrospectively applied- however I have received about 5 different answers from Optus staff depending on who I speak to.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yeah. Getting an authoritative answer can be a challange sometimes. Unfortunately all to often the posts here about how something was agree, confirmed, promised, etc. and then the customer finds out its just not happening in practice. 

My understanding is the $99 offer is essentially a brand new contract. You will be cancelling your current one, handing back the phone and starting over with another 24 month plan.

Up to you, but you may just have to suck it and see.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Shauna

Hey @Cameron17.

You're right! The $99 trade up is a condition in your contract however this can only be done in store as the phone needs to be assessed by a team member, for any physical damage.

Reason this isn't really offered online, is due to the phone maybe being damaged during transit back to Optus. 

@petergdownload is right in saying that we can offer the student discount once the new contract is in place. We'd just need you to confirm the student code or student email address, along with a few other details, so we can have this added. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors