cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor wawan410
New Contributor

Phone plan - is it unlocked?

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my postpaid plan to phone or tablet plan  (have not decided either Android or Apple).

If I upgrade to a phone or tablet plan, will the tablet/phone be locked to only the registered number? 

I have read few posts, it seems for Apple above ios7, by default will be unlocked, and I can use any number for the device.

What about Android?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Phone plan - is it unlocked?

No, when you go on plan with Optus, the only thing that is usually locked is the network, where you cannot insert another sim from another provider. But if you decide to upgrade your plan, where you're paying for the device (while using the sim card) and wanting to give the phone to someone else to put there sim card in, then yes it will work if they have a optus sim card. But there are scenarios where if you do not pay your bills, they block the IMEI for the phone, where the phone becomes completly not workable.

0 Kudos
New Contributor wawan410
New Contributor

So, as long as it is Optus Number, then the phone can be used (ofcourse, given that I pay the bills).

Following question, what should I do if I finish my contract? Is it still locked with Optus and I should follow the "unlocking network" guides that I found here.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Phones/devices on Optus Post Paid plans are NOT locked to Optus at all. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sorry Just literally found out that Optus took the network lock thing off around 2013. So yes, you can use other sim cards from other providers on a POSTPAID device. YAAAAAAY, I also went to check my phone to make sure and it did work lol

0 Kudos
Top Contributors