Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Smurkie
New Contributor
New Contributor

Phone for Smart home system or else...?

Hello everyone!

So we have no connected devices in our house for the moment. But I am looking at smart bulbs (light changing thingies), so I guess I have to start with the home connect idea... All these bulbs I am looking at require to be controlled by an app, and I am the only person in my household with a phone capable to run these apps. My kids won't have access to my phone, and don't have phones, and are the ones who are going to use the light changing bulbs. Sooooo I have studied a few options and I feel like we are headed toward a cheap prepaid phone that would run the app. We won't do Google nest or these hub things. We are basically after a remote. And the few 'remotes' that I can see online would need to have a smartphone around to control the remote (which I found pointless, but eh...).  So, a cheap smartphone that I would lock for that purpose only (unless you have some other magical solution for me). If we go down that cheap phone option, my question is:  I will get a SIM card with the phone (that is how it works with these prepaid Optus phones, they give me a SIM card). But we won't recharge it because we really won't use it as a phone. If I never recharge the SIM card, I guess it will expire at some point. Will that prevent the phone from doing its magic connection to the light bulbs through wi-fi?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
z_hook

Re: Phone for Smart home system or else...?

Hey @Smurkie - thanks for reaching out!

Appreciate all the information you've provided. I've been looking at getting some smart lights myself! Being able to turn the lights on/off from the couch certainly has me interested.

Just to confirm, will you be running the Smart Lights through your existing WiFi service at home? If this is the case, you could just purchase an Optus Prepaid mobile and connect this to your existing WiFi. There wouldn't be any need for a SIM however the SIM will come with the device (you won't need to use the SIM if not required).

You would need to ensure the phone has WiFi capabilities as well checking to make sure the phone will be compatible with the App that will control the smart lights.

If you do have any further questions or concerns, please do let us know! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If a phone is used for wifi only then you never even have to put the SIM in the phone at all and it will work just fine. Prepaid phones will generally be cheaper as they are usually subsidised by the carriers.

Depending on your budget you may want to consider a cheap wifi tablet instead.
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

All "smart" bulbs have a physical on and off switch.

In practice its almost always easier just to flick the switch on the wall.

A this stage just get one or two "smart" bulbs or power points and have a bit of an experiment on your phone. IME a few "smart" items in key places is handy.
Smurkie
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for your answers!  (and yes, it would be through our home Wi-Fi)
I guess all those really answer my question, what I am after could be done through a prepaid phone.

0 Kudos
Tina_YC

Thanks for getting back to us, @Smurkie. If you have any other questions, please let us know 🙂 Tina.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos