Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
crix
New Contributor
New Contributor

Phone contract suspension - not on contract - but keep my number

Hi, I am going overseas for few months maybe for a year and I need to suspend my phone for some time but I would like to keep my number and resume the service (using same number) from time to time when I get back here (I might come back for a few weeks then go back). Are there any way to do so via Optus?

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Phone contract suspension - not on contract - but keep my number

Yes I believe they do have an option for this for a small monthly fee of $5 or so. Give support a call to set this up. 

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

Hey Crix, thank you for reaching out. All good! We should be able to arrange a suspension based on your requirements if you're planning on going overseas frequently. 

Here are a few must mentions regarding suspensions: 

→ Suspending a service when in contract will extend the contract length by the number of days that your service is suspended. 

→ Services can only be suspended for up to 90 days

→ The monthly access fee will not be charged during the suspended period. Instead, there will be a charge of $5.50 per billing period

→ When the service is suspended, a pro-rata credit will apply on the next bill. This is for the monthly access fee that's charged in advance and is from the suspension date to the end of the billing period

→ When the service is restored, the monthly access fee will resume and a pro-rata month in advance charge will apply. This is from the date of restoration to the end of the billing period

→ Device repayments will continue to charge at the normal monthly cost. Credits built into the plan that offset the handset will continue during the suspension

→ Bolt-ons (such as insurance and Optus Sport) will continue to bill and function as normal during suspension, unless removed

As mentioned above, you can suspend your services for up to 90 days at a time. If this is applied, and you need to use your Mobile Service before this period ends feel free to reach out to us via our 24/7 Messaging Service via the My Optus App and we Resume Your Service. And if you require a further 90-day suspension after your initial suspension ends, we should be able to re-apply this to your service as well if you are out of contract.  Feel free to ask if you have any further questions. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

crix
New Contributor
New Contributor

thanks for that I will be gone for at least 6 months straight possibly more... I am not in a contract meaning I can stop my services but I would like to to keep the phone number for when I get back (maybe after a year...) thanks

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

No worries, @crix. If you request to suspend your services for 90 days and are still overseas at the end of this period, please get in touch with us. 

I should have mentioned that during suspension periods, you won't have access to your My Optus App, so please send us a Private Message on our Official Facebook or Twitter page instead where our Social Media Team are more than happy to assist. 

Since you are out of contract, we should be able to apply and re-apply suspensions for the equivalent of 6months-1year - Ness

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

An alternative would be to port to a long expiry pre-paid plan like Amaysim's $10 365 day expiry plan.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@crix,

In theory Optus will reserve your number for reactivation for up to 6 months after the last payment. It is most likely to work but not guaranteed. As YAA mentioned your best bet is to initiate a transfer to Amaysim. For a one off $10 the number is ported and parked for 12 months. You can port back to Optus when you get back.

Hopefully Optus will one day start providing a similar low cost customer friendly option instead of giving customers only the option of paying $$$ or leaving altogether.