Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Phone Recordings

An Optus Representative told me that it is illegal to record a conversation without consent of the other person. But as a telecommunications company you should already know that in the State of Victoria, Queensland and Northern Territory it is NOT illegal to record a telephone conversation without consent that is made or received by the person making or receiving that call. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/national/victoria/someones-listening--but-is-it-legal...
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Phone Recordings

Good feedback, Dazkatmaka11.

We want to provide this feedback however this is a newspaper article from 2014, something official and recent would be ideal. I'll search our policies as well.

Was there a reason you felt the need to record the call? Has whatever the issue was been resolved?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

If the recording of the conversation is not part of surveillance of some form of investigation, then in the 3 states mentioned above are legal and can be used as evidence in Non Crime Cases. Confirmed by ACCC, and currently still active legislation. As for the need for recording, all my calls are recorded and stored, as i have found many times that people say they will do things which never actually eventuate. And of course to prove what i actually conversed to another party.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Screenshot_20191024-171847_Chrome Beta.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Given Optus can't tell which state you are in when you call them its probably best to err on the side of not recording without consent.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Who said it was Optus being recorded and who mentioned that the recorded conversation wasn't in the same state? I purely point out that Optus should be aware that its NOT illegal to record a conversation without consent in all states, and should not say it is. And the Optus Representative who mentioned this knew exactly where i was.
0 Kudos