Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Madss
New Contributor

Phone Delivered to Wrong Address and New Account Already Active

Hi Optus,

I ordered a phone a few weeks ago and put in my current billing address and the delivery address. 

I was due to recieve my delivery today, but found out it was incorrectly sent to an old address that I haven't lived at since 2013 and one that I did not write down anywhere on my application form.  I've since had that address removed from my profile and am in the process of having my phone redelivered to the correct address by one of the Live Chat staff members.

I've been told this new redirect will result in my phone now being delayed 7 to 10 days, instead of it arriving today. 

The new plan has already been activated and as I won't have the device for a while still, I was wondering if there was any way I could have the first payment delayed or cancelled until I receive the actual device (or restart the billing cycle once I get the new phone). 

If not, is there anything I can do to have the phone be delivered quicker please?  My prepaid credit was cut off/expired two weeks early for the new plan to activate yesterday so now I have a new plan on an old device and the new device on an even longer wait for delivery.

I've confirmed with Optus staff that the incorrect address was not listed anywhere on my application forms, so don't understand how it was sent there in the first place.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Madison

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Phone Delivered to Wrong Address and New Account Already Active

Hey Madison, sounds like a really disappointing situation and I'm sorry that it's happened to you.

You do have a couple of options, so it's all about what works best for you. Did you sign up for an online only offer? If not, you can always request for Optus to return the phone to the warehouse and, provided you can get to an Optus store, you could pick it up there. I know this defeats the purpose of online but if you're really needing the phone now, that could be an option for you. 

In terms of getting a credit for the time without the phone, it might be a bit tricky as you are using the service. For me personally, I'm not sure if that's something that would work too well aside from perhaps getting a refund on an unused portion of the data (if you can't use it all due to the limitations of the phone itself). The phone payments likely wouldn't be waived at all because you are still making the payments towards a phone that you will own at the end of the contract. If you've signed up for a lease instead, then you would be eligible to have part of these payments waived.

The last option would be to allow things to progress as they are and compare how much use you're getting from the plan now vs. how much value you'd get from it with a new phone. It may be that you can only use half of the total plan value you would use with the new phone over the next 10 days, so if you're on a $60 plan, you could expect to receive a $10 credit (($60 plan/ 30 days)/50%), so the total value of the credit may not be enough to continue to chase it up. While it's terribly disappointing that this has happened, I wouldn't see Optus providing a credit outside of the value you're losing by not having the phone today.

I was just thinking.... you mentioned that you had a Pre-Paid service that had been turned over to Post-Paid; which, to me, suggests that you've converted this number from Pre to Post-Paid. Was the address that this was delivered to the same address that you had when you started your Pre-Paid account with Optus? It may be that although you're not seeing the old address anywhere on the order, that your physical address has remained the same all these years. It might be that it's only the billing address that has been updated, or possibly because it has been Pre-Paid, you've never needed to update this before and it's been sent to the address on the account. Without seeing the order myself, I couldn't be 100%, but if I were to guess why it's gone to an old address, it'd be something along these lines.

Either way, I really hope that you manage to get the phone ASAP.

Cheers

New Contributor Madss
New Contributor

Hi Shae,

Thanks for that information.

I was an existing Optus customer who had gone from pre-paid to post-paid with the $59 S8 plan when it popped up (had gone from post to pre-paid when my previous plan expired last year).  I assumed that the new plan wouldn't be activated until I had the new device and had activated it myself, I had recently recharged my credit (and am now wishing I'd chosen the cheapest option).

I did ask at the time of updating my address if I could pick the phone up from an Optus store instead and got told that was not an option.  

Yes, the address this ended up being delivered to was the old one from earlier phone plans.  I had checked the Optus website under my profile before applying for the new plan to make sure I had no old addresses appearing.  It was also confirmed that the old address was not appearing on any of my recent applications or information.  However when I switched from post-paid to pre-paid last year I believe the address would have been updated then, and I still was no longer at the address the new one got delivered to.

I know of someome who got around the wait by cancelling their Optus account, switching to another provider and then switching back to Optus within 24 hours and claiming the offer as a new customer.  They got the phone the next day, but I feel like it's not worth it/is too late to do something like this.

I use my phone for work, so it would have been better to get it sooner rather than later. 

I'm mostly frustrated at the turn around time for a redirect or that I, as an existing customer, couldn't have gone into an Optus store to get the device but a new customer can.  I'm also slightly frustrated that after recieving my application for the phone I was never sent a confirmation of shipping or order recieved with the intended delivery address shown, so I could have sorted this out before the delivery failed.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer suggestions though and understand that there's not a lot I can do other than wait at this point.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Madss
New Contributor

Just an update:  I recieved a new shipping number yesterday and it looks like a second device was sent out, so I didn't need to wait for the original one to be redirected.  I recieved the device today (instead of the 7-10 days I was told) and cannot thank whoever sorted this out enough.

I really appreciate the quick correction to my order, especially being someone who uses their phone for the bulk of their work.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Madss, great news! Thanks for the update on this one.

Did anyone mention if the order had been rekeyed? In most cases, we're unable to amend the IMEI of the current handset assigned without first confirming that it's been received by our warehouse.

I just want to make sure that we haven't given you a brand-new number rather than upgrading your existing prepaid service.

If you'd like us to double check, let us know. You'll just need to send us a PM via the link below:

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors