Searching...

Mobile

Re: Paying bill via bpay

[ Edited ]
CJ01

So how do you explain the Non Direct Debit Fee that is being charged when I use BPAY, or is that quaint semantics being applied by Optus, noting payment is through a savings account?

Dave

It's applied because the payment that was made is not via a direct debit arrangement.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

CJ01

Yes, and that was the point of the original post - why is there a charge for NOT using direct debit, when essentially the same process is being used with BPAY, the key difference being is I am in control of what goes in/out of my account and not OPTUS.

Essentially I am being penalised by OPTUS for paying in such a manner (BPAY), which I note nowhere on any Optus website or on the account statement does it state that there is a fee for doing so. 

I wonder if such payments would stand up to scrutiny by the ACCC, and I note they hardly fall into line with the Optus PR spin of removing unfair fees. 

How does OPTUS justify charging a fee for a customer not doing something?  Maybe we should back charge Optus for every time the company fails to deliver!

JustinB

We do outline the non direct debit fee in the Critical Information Summary which is provided to you when you sign up for the service.

There's also info on the billing fees online here.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

CJ01

Thanks for that.

However, given other rhetoric about unfair fees including media releases, as per the earlier posts WHY is there a fee for using BPAY? Just saying because there is a fee for not using direct debit frankly doesn't cut it.

OPTUS is the only company that I know of that charges me for not doing something, and for specifically using BPAY (from a savings account), maybe I should charge back Optus when the company fails to deliver an effective service, ie: not doing something i want or expect - like the phone / internet outage experienced for hours yesterday.

Highlighted

ludite2

I agree.  Customers should be allowed to pay their bills in methods that most suits them.  Why are cheques no longer suitable. I would even accept the one dollar postage fee. Easier to keep track of.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
154 Kudos
125 Kudos
96 Kudos
95 Kudos
75 Kudos