cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor f1ra5
New Contributor

Painful and horrible start to my Optus service Mobile & Cable Internet + Fetch TV & Optus Sports

Where do I begin..... my experience with Optus has been nothing but HELL. I'll start from the top. I've recently purchased a property and due to its location I was unable to get my current ADSL switched over to it and had to find a service that provided cable (the neighbourhood only had cable service). One of my colleagues suggested Optus so I decided to compare deals and saw the 80$ a month deal with Optus Sports + fetch TV attractive. I also decided to get the Fetch TV ultimate pack for an extra 14$ a month. I spoke to someone via Optus chat who said they will organize all of this for me. They set me up and asked whether I would like to get a sim card with Optus as well. I thought, why not, Im currently using Amaysim for me and my wife, if Optus can do a better deal I'll just go with them. The sales person I spoke with via chat advised me they can get me 2 sim cards with 15GB + 2GB a month plus unlimited txt and calls for 40$ + 10% discount ontop. I thought that sounds like a sweet deal. 36$ for 17GB a month, get me 2!! anyways the guy signed me up and set everything up, I gave him all my details, and everything seemed sweet until then.

As we havent settled into our new house yet, I told the sales person to make sure the cable internet is booked for the 1st of December for the new property, however send all the stuff (Fetch TV box, sim cards) to the address I'm currently in. The sales staff said sure no problem we will make sure your delivery address is different to the service address. Once all the details were done and the sales staff said all good to go, half an hour later I receive an email saying my sim cards are on their way to the new address (not the one I put down for delivery). I straight away called up Optus and said look heres my order number please change the delivery address ASAP as the email said it was being delivered to the wrong address. They said no problem we will fix that for you. I received another email saying your order has been cancelled. I decided to go to the Optus store in Casula and asked the sales person to look up my details and see my orders I placed. He advised that there was no order at all for internet however he could see that 2 sim cards were ordered. He said not to worry about the sim cards the deliver address can be changed over the phone but he will set me up for internet as that never went through. He set me up with the same deal I wanted and I stressed to him the importance of making sure that the delivery address of the Fetch TV box was my current address and not the new address I want the service to go to. The reason behind this was that the vendor wanted their privacy and didnt want anything sent to the address until settlement, fair enough it is their property up until I settle, I'm no person to argue with them about that. 

Anyway moving forward, the next day I called up Optus (waited about 1 hour and 10 minutes on the phone) and they advised they have changed the delivery address for both the new sim cards but they had to cancel the order and redo it. On that day I saw a better deal (the click frenzy deal where the same sim deal I wanted was with a bigger discount, 25% off). I told them ok keep my deal cancelled I will resubmit my order with the click frenzy deal to get 25% off instead of only 10% off. They said that should be fine as the original order was cancelled. I filled in the form online for the click frenzy deal and ended up getting my sim card delivered the very next day (only 1 sim card arrived though, I am still waiting for the second one for my wife). 

I activated my sim as soon as it arrived and my phone was set up with Optus, everything was sweet. I registered for online services aswell. The very next day, I noticed my phone was on "SOS Only". I called up Optus using my wifes phone (waited 55 minutes to be connected) and they said we had to cancel your phone number as we had issues with your account but dont worry we will reactivate it right now. They reactivated it and everything was fine. I logged into my Optus online and noticed I have a new bill of $37.90 due in 10 days...??? I only activated my sim for 2 days, 1 day being SOS Only and I have this bill from nowhere. I advised the lady over the phone and she said yes I can see that, but dont worry we will sort that bill out also. I said no worries thank you and hung up. After I had hung up I noticed I was not able to send or receive any text messages, I could call and go online but no sms messaging was working. I am still unable to send or receive any sms messages and there is still a bill in my account that I am not sure what is for (I will be calling Optus again early tomorrow morning regarding this). 

Remember the fetch TV box I got with my cable internet deal? And the Optus staff member at Casula mall reassured me will be delivered to my delivery address and not the service address, well I received an email early this morning advising that it will be delievered tomorrow to my service address !!!! and not the delivery address. I'm actually going crazy here, I am literally just playing cat and mouse with Optus and wasting countless hours. Optus really doesnt make signing up friendly at all.

With my many years of jumping between mobile phone plans, internet providers, I have never ever in my life experienced such hopeless customer service. I actually REGRET listening to my colleague for going to Optus. It hasnt been a week and I've already spent an excess of 5 hours trying to get things right. And tomorrow morning I will probably be spending another 2. This isnt right, its frustrating and we have better things to do than chase after your mistakes. Please, you are a big telco company, sort your stuff out. Im actually so disappointed and unfortunately I dont think I will ever recommend your services to anybody, ever. 

Im now stuck with Optus for atleast 12 months due to these contracts, however the service I am getting is not what I signed up for. Its meant to be a seamless effortless sign up with no hiccups. Unfortuntely, its the total opposite. 

I was really looking forward to signing up to Optus but the nightmare I went through in the past few days is just making me hate Optus with a passion.

5 Replies
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Re: Painful and horrible start to my Optus service Mobile & Cable Internet + Fetch TV & Optus Sports

Hey @f1ra5, thanks for taking the time to write this up, I can only apologise for the run around you've had to do. If you still need assistance with anything at all, please feel free to send me a private message with your enquiry, reference number, full name and DOB. Someone from my team will follow up and make sure everything is completed correctly moving forward.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor f1ra5
New Contributor

Re: Painful and horrible start to my Optus service Mobile & Cable Internet + Fetch TV & Optu

Hi Toomey, I have just sent you a message. Thanks

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Painful and horrible start to my Optus service Mobile & Cable Internet + Fetch TV & Optu

Hi @f1ra5, I'm sorry for the delayed response to your PM. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up to let you know that we've replied back. We'll chat there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor RichieM
New Contributor

HORRIBLE Customer experience so far with Optus: 

I moved over to Optus back in Feburary for both phone and cable. All good so far, service was fine. 

However, moved house again in November and had to move from cable to ADSL2. Since we moved into the property on 18th November the service has been pretty non-existent. Working out at speeds of 1-2MBPS download and 0.01-0.10 upload. 

We have 2 small girls and my wife and I need the ability to work from home (each 1 day / week). This is impossible at present. 

So on the Saturday we moved in, I spent 3+hours on the phone to get through to an agent and while simultaneously onto about 8 different chat representatives (kept dropping out). They assured me it would be resolved and that there was indeed an issue on the line. The technician would have a 'look'. 

Silence all week until the following Saturday, when I spend another hour on the phone. The next customer reprenstative, (Thomas) assured me he would 'look into it personally' and would raise it to the highest priority. 

Come Monday, still nothing, so I spend another 45mins onto another representative who told me to wait for 24hours for a call. 

On Tuesday, 24hours later, still nothing, so I end up spending 45mins in a frustratingly incompent interaction with (Sebastin), who while promising me the world, hadn't a clue what he was doing/talking about. I ended that chat and spend another 30mins with Reagon, who assured me it would be resolved in 5/6 hours. I would get an email to confirm. 

Note both reprentatives assured me mine was raised to the highest priorty level. 

So, another 5/6 hours later + call, to another representative who transfers me to Cooper. Cooper assures me it will be resolved in 24hours. 

Today is Thursday, and another 45-60mins chat with (a supervisor this time) Chapman, who assures me, beyond belief that the issue will be resolved in, you guessed it, 24hours as he has raised it to the 'highest priority" 

Seriouly though, in all my years in Australia (12), I've never come across such consistently incompetent service. I was with TPG before, and for all the flak they get, their customer service was 2nd to none in comparison. 

If I could I would recommend no-one to ever take up a contract with Optus again. They clearly do not have their customer interests/respect/performance anywhere near their heart.  $$$ 

Highlighted
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Thanks for reaching out @RichieM, it awful to hear of your experience, please reach out to me if there's anything I can do help from our end. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors