cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

Neo738
New Contributor
New Contributor

Overseas roaming intermittent

I have an iPhone 6s running iOS12.1.4. Setting say Optus service provider v35.0

i have $50/mth sim only plan with 4gig of international and unlimited calls. 

My overseas roaming I never get network selection to functioning automatically overseas. A manual network selection does work but it takes 20-30mins before it will start to function. And I often get some irregular errors messages about network settings. 

In japan I find my roaming is almost non existent. My device won’t hold any connection docomo network there for more than a few seconds at a time.

id appreciate some help. Thankyou 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Overseas roaming intermittent

That sounds strange. See if you can't borrow someone's phone and put you SIM in and see if the roaming works better.

Alternatively  check the phone settings and see if you can't force 3G only as a test etc.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

A good suggestion from Peter. 

I suspect trying to use an iPhone 6s in Japan is the issue here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
Neo738
New Contributor
New Contributor

While iPhone 6s may be the problem. My research thus far does not agree with that being the issue. 

I went to the website

willmyphonework.net

and searching for iPhone 6s model A1688, japan, NTT docomo as the carrier

it lists the A1688 as working with 3G and 4G but not 2G in Japan. It lists working with all carriers on 3G except Y!Mobile.

Do I need to select some sort of network carrier reset? 

I made a call from Osaka to Sydney last month but phone after the call the network connection again became very intermittent. So it does work it’s just on and off - but much more “no service” than holding a connection. 

Ive just arrived in Narita, Japan for 24hrs this evening. Thanks for any help. Pete 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It might be simplest to grab a local SIM? Not sure on the laws.
As mentioned perhaps try swapping SIMs with a business contact to see if yours works in their phone or theirs works in yours.
The phone is only 4 years old so it should work fine but perhaps time for a new phone? Or a new network carrier?

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

It may be an issue with the local network that the phone has automatically connected to.

Please try going into the Settings and performing a manual network selection, choosing another Japanese network to see if that does the trick,.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
Neo738
New Contributor
New Contributor

So prior to seeing the last response about trying another network - I did try SoftBank carrier in Japan and that worked flawlessly. Great result in the end. 🙂

But the next question is - how do I find a list of which networks in which countries am I meant to be selecting? As it seems my solution for my phone is a manual network selection each time I’m roaming... Thankyou!
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Great news that you got it working! 

I don't believe there is a list available to customers, generally as it isn't required as the automatic connection usually works.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not sure why Optus decided to hide the information but they have a roaming tool here.

Unfortunately clicking a country provides generic "Zone X" information.

However you can drill down to an individual country by manually adding it at the end of the url:

https://www.optus.com.au/enterprise/customer-contact/calling-and-messaging/roaming-tool/

So for example add "japan" to the end of that and you'll get here

Doesn't work for all countries and may be out of date in some respects but does provide a handy list of local telcos to try.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Just a note that those tools are for Business Enterprise accounts.

The consumer one can be found here.

0 Kudos