Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
RBC
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Overcharging and billing issues

I got a new mobile with Optus in November. I asked for and was told my new mobile account would be linked with my existing home internet account as well as my partner's mobile account such that all emails and bills would be sent to the one email address.

I never even got the PDS and details of my new mobile service. I have also not been receiving any invoices. This is despite calling up Optus multiple times to chase up the PDS and being reassured the email issue had been rectified at least twice. I even emailed Optus billing support last month with no response and the issue is still not rectified.

Secondly, my invoices have been incorrect and I have been overcharged. I signed up and was told by the sales rep that rather than wait and go throught the flybuys offer at the time, she could credit my account to the value of $85 instead so the transaction could go through same day. In addition, as Optus accidentally disconnected my existing service a few days before my phone even arrived, I was supposed to have the first month free. I was still charged $15 for the phone service for the first month, which I paid anyway.

I emailed Optus at the time, noting this should at least be covered by the flybuys related credit even if the whole fee for the first month was not waived and received no response.

When I didn't get any email or SMS invoice last month, I assumed this was due to my $85 credit. When I again received no invoice this month, I had to jump through hoops just to access my account through My Optus as my 3 Optus accounts have still not been linked to the correct email as promised!

Then I find I have been charged in full for the last month and have two outstanding bills, including for this month.

I am holding off on payment now until I receive more information as to what is going on. I will be extremely annoyed and will consider contacting consumer affairs if I don't receive a response this time or if my account is cut off.

I have an email confirmation from the relevant sales representative re the $85 credit, so I don't want to have to rehash that issue.

I have wasted too much time on this already. Looking forward to a prompt and fair resolution.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Overcharging and billing issues

Hi, unfortunately prompt might not be in the cards. It should hopefully be fair in the end but that will require continued work from you unfortunately.

For one thing, this is a public forum so you'll need to contact Optus directly for any further actions (and IME its up to you to do the followups) Email is hit and miss and promises to call you back are also very hit and miss. If you need something done you'll need to try get it sorted live. Wait. Repeat If its not fixed.

Getting things like the correct billing delivery etc. can take a few goes. I would suggest just paying bills (that you can find out about) as there's $15 late fees (that will be re-credited but then that's just another round of contact required to sort). Optus seems to work buy cleaning up issues after they go wrong.

The fly buys credit does seem a bit dodgy IMO. I'd have though 'converting' flybuys into Optus credit costs Optus directly and not something sales staff should usually be able to do. Hopefully its not a promise that the agent can't keep.

Keep a list of all payments and promises etc. and if you can't work it through then write and official letter to Optus that hopefully will get dealt with in one go.

Good Luck
0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Overcharging and billing issues

Hi RBC,

As Peter advised, we’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details (you can copy and paste your original post above and include your ID details).
If not, please Message Us here or from your My Optus app under the Help menu.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos