cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Over charged data for the month

Hi @vicvelas33, I'm sorry you didn't get the outcome you wanted. Data is tracked directly from the SIM so your device would not have been turned off. Is it possible you assumed it was on Wi-Fi and it was not?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor vicvelas33
Occasional Contributor

Scott, the device has been switched off. It is connected to nothing, I haven't been using it. So explain to me how can I charged for data on a device that isn't even turned on?

0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey @vicvelas33, certainly seems strange you've been billed for data and you've advised the device has been switched off. What days in particular are you referring to? Happy to take a look over PM if you send us your details here

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Ripped_Off
New Contributor

So what happens is that it shows up in your data usage. So then you go over your limit amd Optus charge you $10. Even though the data is meant to not count. But it does for them to bill you.

Then you complain and they investigate and never get an answer for you. My case has been open for 3 weeks and they said it will take 5 days.

One person looked into it and they said that I have never streamed anything but downloaded everything. I don't see how this is possible when you can't do that with a free Spotify account. So they have credited me with every time I have gone over.

Try to make a complaint and they refuse to let you lodge one. Illegal.

Anyway, call and complain about 20 times and you may get a refund. But you will have to do this event month. And you will never be allowed to complain as they won't let you speak to a complaints dept.

Oh and they only cover for speeds up to 512kb. So if your Spotify is set up as per the default, you need to downgrade the quality to the lowest limit to ensure your data does not go too fast.

Optus has set us up to use more data and pay stupid prices for it. Good luck explaining this one to the ACCC Droptus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Natasha7226261
New Contributor

I am also having this problem, this month I have had $150 dollars worth of data added to my account already with 10 days to go!

the only thing I have been doing is watching Netflix and Stan in their apps. Overnight, when my mobile internet was turned off on all my devices I had another 3 data add ons come through!

i tried to speak to them via chat on the app but was told that there’s no way it’s a mistake. Well it is, and if these charges keep being added I won’t be able to afford the bloody bill when it comes in. Streaming is meant to be free, but somehow they have found a way to charge for it!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Moderator Shauna

Hi @Natasha7226261 - thanks for reaching out to us. I can confirm that once unmetered streaming has been added to your account, you won't be charged for data. That being said, we can appreciate that $150 on top of your bill is quite daunting! We take a look into this further and address your concerns. Can you please private message me with your mobile number, full name and DOB? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Natasha7226261
New Contributor

How do I PM you? I cannot see any function here for that

0 Kudos
Moderator Shauna

If you click on my profile directly, you should see the option to message me Smiley Happy

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors