cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Flick71
Occasional Contributor

Over charged data for the month

I have been over charged for data usage when most of it is meant to be free streamed netflix. 2wks ago i spoke to the technical dept and they told me that i had been charged for using netflix and it was sorted out. Apparently i had used 62gb extra. My optus app did not click over to a new month either.

Now after receiving a $800 bill from optus "$400 of that being extra data used" i rang this morning to be told apparently using netflix through an amazon site which means it isnt free.

I have not changed doing anything in the last 3mths so why is my data so high when i dont even normally use all of it?

Ive been given the run around from dept to dept and been hung up on when put on hold. Never got any call backs despite the dept telling me they will call back if disconnected.

I want this sorted out and i will go to consumer affairs dept if it isnt sort by the end of this month!

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Over charged data for the month

Can you explain what you mean by you're using it via an Amazon site?

Basically, the data free streaming must be through the associated app. As in use the spotify app if you want data free spotify, use the Netflix app if you want data free Netflix etc. If you're doing it any other way, Optus won't recognise it and they won't have control over it (they limit the connection to a lower quality to reduce load on the network) so they can't make it data free.

Same applies if you hotspot your phone to your laptop, TV or anything else. That will count towards your data even if you're watching Netflix because it has to be through the app on your phone

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Im not sure what the amazon app means as she wouldnt explain it to me. Ive always used my laptop for netflix and never been charged this amount before. I asked her why this time its different all she said was cos it is.

Part of my deal when i signed up was free streaming....its worked for the past two months and i havent changed anything. Plus being transferred back and forth....

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

So just so I'm clear, you're using your mobile phone as a hotspot and connecting your laptop to it? Or do you have a different device?

If you're hotspotting your phone, then that's why. Optus were pretty clear on this when they launched the data free streaming. If it's worked for you previously that's a bonus for you but it wasn't meant to work that way and they've since corrected it

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I have a moblie broadband service that is what i am hotspotting to my laptop, and mobile phone when I'm home.

I downloaded netflix to my laptop and have used it the same way for 3mths, never going over my 57gb combined mobile/broadband limit....that included on my phone.. facebook, google searching etc.

Apparently i used less data with netflix this last month....yet have 60 something ectra data usage.

My confusion is why was i told one thing a fortnight ago yet completely different now.

I personally think its to do with my data not being started again on 20th of the month.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

And i explained to optus about hotspotting to my laptop and they said it was allowed....otherwise what am i supposed to watch netflix on......can i watch it on my tablet if i have the app and have to hotspot?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The data free steaming of Netflix is meant for use on your mobile devices, not your laptop. So you're supposed to watch it on the device that it comes with i.e. your mobile. Look at the FAQ's here, specifically:  

Can I tether or share my data free Mobile TV streaming?
Data free Mobile TV streaming is not suitable for tethering, hot-spotting to multiple devices or streaming to a bigger screen using services such as Chromecast or Apple AirPlay. If you do tether or stream to a bigger screen, it will use your included data.

ALso, if you're hotspotting to your laptop there's a good chance programs installed on your computer as well as the operating system are performing updates in the background which would use up a significant amount of data as well.

Occasional Contributor

Update with my overcharge.

The optus staff have confirmed that i used less of netflix last month than previous months.

I have also noticed that they have stated on my bill that the extra data was charged to my mobile yet i was hotspotting with my broadband. The reason i do this is because i get less service on my mobile where i live.

I rang again today to explain this and i was given a complete different explanation....which tells me that every person i have talked to so far, really doesnt know the reason why i have been over charged and also cant be bothered sorting it out. Ive had different explainations every time i speak to a different person.

Even im confused?

I will get to the end of this whether im right or wrong

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Hey Flick71 - as mentioned by SamSam, when you're watching Netflix on a laptop tethered to a plan that has  TV streaming attached, all data will be metered.

You only get unmetered streaming when you're watching on the app on the device that the SIM card is in, ie Mobile or Tablet. If you tether the device to another, any streaming will me metered.

When you've looked at Data Breakdown in the app, what does it show has used your data? 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor vicvelas33
Occasional Contributor

Have to love Optus. For months now I have been disputing my data charges considering the iPad that I have with them has been turned OFF yet I still am getting charged for data I haven't used!!!

I still am nowhere near getting this resolved. Every single Optus 'customer service rep' is a muppet. I have gotten 15 different stories. I have gone to the TIO and still no outcome because Optus is useless.

I wish you luck but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors