cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Captain_Skip
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Outgoing Settings for Optus email that works on Optus network and on Telstra network

I have Optus email address and Optus NBN and a Telstra mobile phone.    What Outgoing email settings will work BOTH on the Optus network and a Telstra mobile, when away and only on Telstra mobile network.      This is so frustrating, I have researched heavily and even tried Google free SMTP option.  Nothing works.

has anyone solved this please?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Outgoing Settings for Optus email that works on Optus network and on Telstra network

Many have. They don't use RSP provided emails addresses. Once necessary but now just trapping you into the provider (if you ever leave Optus you lose the email address). Suggest you take the time (its not that difficult now)to migrate your email to a free no RSP dependent offering (like GMail). You'll get better spam filtering, security, 2FA, account recovery, access, features, space, etc.
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Outgoing Settings for Optus email that works on Optus network and on Telstra network

Authentication of the outgoing Optus mail server worked for me when testing my Optus email on a Telstra phone last year. I actually wrote about it in a lengthy post that I can't find at the minute.

Captain_Skip
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

OK thanks, If you find it please let me know, as I have spent weeks trying to solve this
0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Using your Optus username and password when sending mail (authentication) works for me. The test email sent 10 minutes ago using my Telstra mobile verifies it works. Try it yourself and see what happens.

Edit: Ah the new privacy measures for the Optus forum hides all my info however the 2 important lines are still visible.

Return-Path: <hidden>
Delivered-To: hidden
Received: from host.mydomain.com.au
by host.mydomain.com.au with LMTP
id wBMQMDhVu16aXwAA+FwSAQ
(envelope-from <hidden>)
for <hidden>; Wed, 13 May 2020 12:02:32 +1000
Return-path: <hidden>
Envelope-to: hidden
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 May 2020 12:02:32 +1000
Received: from mail105.syd.optusnet.com.au ([211.29.132.249]:47898)
by host.mydomain.com.au with esmtp (Exim 4.93)
(envelope-from <hidden>)
id 1jYgj8-0006N7-AE
for hidden; Wed, 13 May 2020 12:02:32 +1000
Received: from [192.168.43.42] (Telstra [1.136.224.175])
(Authenticated sender: hidden)
by mail105.syd.optusnet.com.au (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 521003A4290
for <hidden>; Wed, 13 May 2020 12:01:47 +1000 (AEST)
To: hidden
Subject: Test email using Telstra
Message-ID: <hidden>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 12:01:48 +1000

0 Kudos
Captain_Skip
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

thanks, I have tried this, it didnt work

I have had enough of Optus and Telstra blocking each others email, so I am going Gmail as you suggest.