cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Roxide
Occasional Contributor

Ordered an iPhone online over a week ago...

Spoiler
On Thursday 3rd of October I placed an order online for a new iPhone 11. I've received a temporary order number. Friday I then received a text asking me to confirm the number I wanted ported (which I did). I then received an email asking me to contact Optus. They proceeded to ask me details I'd already provided in the initial order (name, D.O.B. address), including wanting me to verify that the number I'd provided was the one I wanted ported, to which I said yes. The next day I get another SMS asking me to verify that the number I'd provided was the one I wanted ported...

Mid this week I then received an SMS asking me to use my phone to take photos of the ID I'd referenced in the initial online order. I was also required to provide a selfie and had to ensure location services were switched on. Did all of that and still nothing. I contacted Optus support yesterday and was basically told "your application is being processed and oh, it'll take two weeks delivery time once your application has been finalised".

Seriously? It's now been over a week since I placed the initial onlne order and I still have no idea what's going on. If we add 2 weeks due to delivery then that's nearly 4 weeks to get a phone via Optus online ordering system (assuming this application process doesn't get drawn out any longer!). I live in a rural area and Optus stores aren't just down the road here.

I actually was an Optus customer for many years but left due to issues I had with billing, inability to change my address (no matter how many times I tried or how many support people I spoke to), and a sudden drop in coverage. We've moved to an area where Optus has a tower and Telstra doesn't, so I'm forced to return to Optus (due to needing a new handset - my current mobile provider offers plans but not handsets, sadly), and this is what greets me.

Is this usual, or am I making a mistake returning to a company who I've already once left due to difficulties with their service and support?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ordered an iPhone online over a week ago...

what sort of iPhone did you order ? FYI most of iPhone 11 are on back orders and 3 week wait times for restock
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Sorry! I've updated my post with details now.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

that's ok, so again, depending on the iphone 11 you ordered, if it is on back orders; it will take more than 4 weeks to receive. And depending on their systems, your port over might not take place till you have actually received and activated your plan. Confirm if you can actually Port over before the activation. If your really desperate for a phone I suggest cancelling your order and routing for another desired device that is actually in stock, unless your happy to wait for them to be in stock which the timeframe is known
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I guess my issue here is that they've not even got to the stage of them being ready to dispatch an iPhone yet. I'm still stuck in some sort of "account application limbo", where I keep getting asked the same questions via different means (SMS, email or phone-call).

If they'd notified me that yes, the application is complete and your phone will be sent once stocks are available, I'd be happy but we're not at that stage after more than a week of back-and-forth. It seems this initial account application process has been excessively long, overly complex and pretty disorganised.

Edit - I should also point out that when I placed my online order and selected the plan I wanted it stated that the phone was available / in stock. I had also contacted an Optus Shop (a long distance from us but I now wish I'd just driven there!), who stated they didn't have the model I wanted in stock (they did have a 512GB but I only wanted a 256GB), but they checked and said they could have one in store in 3 days. I decided to order online to save a big trip there and back thinking the online process would be reasonably quick based on what the shop had said.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I called Optus again last night and the order has now progressed to "Submitted". I'm in the dark as to what that means TBH. I assume it means the account application has been finalised and the order for the actual phone has been submitted for delivery. Either way, it appears as though we've taken another step in the process!

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

That's good news . It means that the internal credit check has passed and the order has prossesed .now again , it depends on the iPhone 11 you purchased (if there are any on stock, if it's on back orders or they are waiting on stock from Apple) when youl recieved your order. Last week most of the iPhones were either on back orders or 3 week wait times for stock from Apple
Occasional Contributor

Cheers! I actually received an SMS this morning saying my order has left the warehouse.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

OK, so I'm going to keep updating this thread in case any one else ever encounters the plethora of issues I have and wants to know what the final outcome was.

On Monday (at some ungodly time of the morning), I got an SMS from Optus saying my order had left the warehouse and will be delivered to me shortly. This had a link for tracking, which showed no results but that's understandable as it does say it can take up to 24 hours to appear there.

Wonderful! I thought.

Monday evening I then receive another SMS from Optus saying my order had been received at the warehouse and they were preparing to deliver it...

What? Which one is it? Did it leave the warehouse Monday morning, or did it only arrive in the warehouse Monday night? Why am I receiving messages that obviously (well at least one of them), aren't correct?

Honestly, I can't understand how this whole process has been so convoluted, repetative, lengthy and straight up wrong some of the time. As I said earlier, we live in a rural area. Most of our purchases are done online for that reason. I honestly cannot ever recall having constant issues with anything else I've ever ordered like this before.

I left Optus years ago due to incompetence. Here I am, having to come back to them and it appears nothing has changed. TBH, I'm not looking forward to the next few years whilst I'm locked into a contract with them.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Final Update!

I've received my phone and SIM. The tracking system never worked. I was told to use the order number on the Optus / StarTrak page but that always returned a "no record of that number" error. I was then told I'd receive a tracking number but that did not occur.

I was required to activate the new SIM by calling Optus support due to the previous provider I was with. This was great! The person who assisted with this there was amazing. Everything went seamlessly and she even called back after about half an hour to make sure everything was working and my number had ported across correctly. I'm really happy with this result. Whoever that support person was, you rock!

So basically, the ordering / delivery process did seem a bit all over the place for me but once the phone had arrived, activation etc was a breeze. I’m feeling a lot better about my return to Optus now!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors