Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
fedup307
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus

I joined Optus on Wed 10 February this year when I purchased a Samsung Galaxy A71 mobile phone from Harvey Norman in Wangaratta.  On the day of purchase, I paid Harvey Norman $282 on my credit card and signed up with Optus at a cost of $65 a month over 2 years.  Two days later I realised I'd made a mistake and had signed up for a contract that was beyond my financial ability. I am on an aged pension and this Optus monthly amount would be difficult for me to maintain.  Due to Harvey Norman (hereafter referred to as HN) shutting down for 5 days due to Covid, I returned to the store when it reopened on Thursday 18  February.  They advised they could not help and to get out of the contract I would need to visit the Wangaratta Optus store. However, that store advised they could not help and said I would need to contact Optus by phone.  So I returned home, which incidentally is over an hour's drive from Wangaratta.  That second trip to Wangaratta was a complete waste of time.  I then started trying to get out of the contract by calling Optus via phone.  Over a period of 4 days, I have been cut off 3 times while on hold with Optus.  I have spoken to at least 10 different members of Optus teams, been transferred over and over again and got nowhere.  One particular worker (Naeem) agreed to reduce my monthly payments from $65 per month to $19 per month with less gb's.  He even put all the details in a confirmation email, which I received, and this email was later deleted by Optus with no explanation to me as to why.  Today I have been through the procedure again, ringing Optus, being cut off, transferred over to other sections and so on.  Finally I spoke to a very helpful man in the Retention Team (Ken) and he has offered me the $19/month plan again (on a month to month basis).  I agreed to this new plan.  However, as I am a heart patient, the stress of trying to sort this out over a number of days with Optus, many staff members who thought my request was too hard and fobbed me off to others, and getting nowhere, has caused me much anguish.  If Optus proceeds to send me an account for an amount of $747.50 payout from the original contract, I will really suffer.  I will have to borrow this amount from Centrelink in the form of an advanced payment which needs to be repaid within 6 months.  I am on an aged pension and as at today, have only $437.30 in my bank account and that's it.  I am pleading with Optus not to bill me for this amount of $747.50.  I hope somebody of good character and with a good heart, reads this message and can help me get out of the original contract of $65 per month over 2 years.  Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rob_YC

Re: Optus

Hi @fedup307. I'm very sorry to hear about all the trouble you've been having trying to get some help with that account. I can imagine how stressful that must be at the moment. I understand we need to organise for that contract to be updated if it hasn't as of yet, or we can take a look at some other options for this. We certainly wouldn't want there to be any lump sum charged to the account for this. Are you able to send us a private message on the Optus Facebook or Twitter? Unfortunately we aren't able to verify account details via Yes Crowd, if you are able to send through a Message on Facebook or Twitter I'll be sure to keep an eye out so we can verify your details and get this followed up on ASAP. 

Our apologies once more for all the stress this is causing at the moment, let me know if you are able to send through a message. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus

Definitely a mistake entering into an enforceable contract and you should be looking into what you are agreeing to before doing so. Do you understand what the details are of this new $19 a month plan is?

It would now appear Optus have just cancelled your plan and now you owe the full amount for the handset upfront ($19 doesn't even cover the cost of the handset let alone any data). They've also put you on an unnecessary $19 plan that to possibly has cancellation fees , very limited data and limited phone calls, possibly punitive excess data fees too. (your old plan had none of these).

You should confirm each of the above items (Contract length? Data limits? Call Limits? Cancellation fees?)

Presumably you joined this plan?

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/brands/optus-mobile-data-plans

Why did you need to pay Harvey Norman $282 upfront? You've also been eligible for a $500 gift card which further complicates matters? Why we're you first offered to go to the $45 version of this plan? That might have been manageable? 

At this stage you need to take a pause and find out what deal you currently have. Harvey Norman and Optus are not closely related in this deal so probably you will mostly have to deal with Optus as you have. Once you have a solid idea of what the situation is then perhaps others can help better:

a) Work out just what it is you have agreed to and

b) Contact the Optus Financial Hardship department and see what they will do.

As a thought for down the line, if you have indeed got a $500 Harvey Norman gift card you can sell that easily on eBay for say $400. The phone is worth $500 on eBay. You can cancel the $19 plan. That leaves you with no phone, no plan and no debt. After that you can start again and perhaps ask some advice on a good plan here - there's plenty that are much cheaper and better suited to your needs and finances.

0 Kudos