cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus where is the loyalty incentive???

Optus I have been a valued member of your organistion for 20 years, pretty much since the introduction of the first mobile phone!!

I currently have 4 services with Optus and am looking to recontract.  

The current offers that Optus have are available to anyone and everyone - that is...no special deals for loyal customers.

When I spoke to the retention team, they offered 10% off the PLAN for 24 months. So essentially $4 per month (for the plan I was looking at).  At $4 per month over 24 months, Optus are offering me a total of $96 as a loyalty offer.  

Optus this is an insult!!!  Surely there are much better rewards/incentives for customers that have shown you loyalty over 2 decades???

10 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Optus where is the loyalty incentive???

Yes I agree. I think something like a multiple product benefit with 10% off every addition service would be a good idea. I must say I did raise an issue about the prepaid users getting a better deal than post-paid however that fell on deaf ears. In my mind if you are prepared to commit to a contract it is almost insulting that a prepaid user can get a better deal.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi guys,

Optus doesnt need a loyalty incentive program if they consistently offer better deals with excellent coverage and brilliant customer service. One or all 3 of those details may not be what you're experiencing - and I dont expect everyone gets all 3 things ticked every time.

I do - but I'm a city based, heavy SMS user with bugger all data dependancy and rarely contact Optus for anything. 

My point is, if any of those 3 things arent your experience then its your right to choose another service provider to get a better deal, coverage or service. We're getting more data, calls and SMS on these Optus plans than ever before - and people still expect to pay less just cos they stayed with the company that is consistently giving them the great deals?

Business doesnt stay in business by giving away its profit margin and cutting its own throat.

Just my 2c, I dont expect its a popular opinion but there ya go.

Cheers

Ed

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hey Ed, It was a suggestion based on a loyal customer with 4 services. If you were to purchase 4 of anything and not expect any sort of discount then you are an easy man to please. Not sure where customer service or coverage comes into the topic. If you are suggesting that excellence in both these areas should negate any loyalty programs then I would suggest you have a good read through the forum my friend. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi guys,

Great thread and a fair point raised.

I sit on the side with @Ed_space with this one. To be completely honest, it's not really being a loyal customer if all you are doing is waiting for those "loyalty discounts" to start kicking in. Personally, I have been a loyal Optus customer for several years, and here's why...

The products are quality. Everything offered by Optus is legitimate. If you want the latest and greatest handsets, Optus has it. If you want to take out additional extras, to personalise your plan to best suit your needs, they have a solution. If they make you a promise, they follow through. And I am not saying this as a 100% truth, this is telecommunications after all. What I am saying is you are not offered/told one thing, and then delivered something other.

Their plans are second to none. They offer the most competitive prices on the market. For example: Find a better deal on the latest iPhone 6s or 6s Plus, with or without so called "loyalty" discounts. Unlimited calls and text across all plans and prepaid services! Huge data allowances with data sharing at no extra cost! Awesome international inclusions! And the most competitive handset repayment options. You save enough money just by being with Optus when comparing to most other telco's that they already cover your "loyalty discounts."

They have one of the highest NPS (Network Promotor Scores - aka Customer Service reputations) across all avenues of customer interactions of all telco's in Australia. They are always friendly and ready to assist you. I had my home phone and broadband with another lead telco for years. I had problems a few times throughout my contracts, but the problems really weren't the main issue. The problem was that when I called or attempted to fix the issues, the lack of ownership for the issues and the absence of help and solution, became the real problem. Ever since being with Optus I have had very few problems. No, not none, but very few, and it might as well be none because they have always been willing to help me find the best solutions as quickly as possible. This kind of service just can't be found else where. Believe me, I've tried. Like I said, telco is never super "easy" and problems are part of the technological world, but go and venture to another provider and honestly tell my you receive the same service.

Finally, the coverage. 98.5% of the population (not the country). Again one of the best service providers in the country, second to one in rural areas. And this is the only area where they fall just short but by less than 1%! I rarely ever have problems with reception, and when I do, it's nothing a 100 meter walk in any direction won't fix. Of course there are black spots and that's the same with any provider, but they are constantly improving their networks and I'm sure it won't be long before they are on par with the top-dog.

Basically, what I am saying is, if you are only still with Optus because you expect a discount, go find a telco that offers you a better price and value and service and coverage, and then still gives you a "loyalty discount!" Or if you decide to stay, perhaps change your way of thinking. For example, I am loyal to Optus because they are good to me and they always offer me the best deals and the best help when I need it. I am loyal because I am more than satisfied with the service provided, and not because I expect something for nothing. 🙂

And just a quick FYI... 10% is an amazing discount for simply being with the company for as long as you have. I can almost guaranty you would not find another provider that would offer you that! The fact that 10% only worked out to be $4 a month, goes to show that you are on an entry level plan ($40 presumably with a handset considering the 24 month contract). Had you have been a bigger user that discount would have saved you hundreds. I for example would have saved over $300 on my mobile alone with that discount and that's because I have a higher monthly spend. It's the same with any loyalty discount with any company. Your discount doesn't just depend on tenure. It is primarily concerned with your total spend.

Thats all just my personal opinion though. And just a little bit of common sense... 😉

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Whilst Optus may offer competitive plans and rates, I can assure you that the "second to none" coverage that you refer to in Rural Areas, Retail Sales, is debatable.  I live within the Western Suburbs of Melbourne and I need a home phone booster to gain any decent sort of reception at home.  I also travel fairly frequently to rural areas and my Optus coverage is very poor, in fact SOS only in many places, including popular tourist destinations like Daylesford and Shepparton.  So they must remain competitive in their plans as they cannot compete with their coverage.

My question is if I have shown over 20 years of loyalty to a provider, why aren't I entitled to any loyalty benefits.  Why can a new customer, off the street, without any proven commitment, ability to pay etc, get the same deals that I get? And whilst this plan may only be entry level ($40 per month), you failed to acknowledge that I have 4 services with Optus.  

You can pretty much negotiate anything with any provider these days - car, home insurance, electricty supply etc, so why shouldn't I, after two decades, be able to negotiate a loyalty incentive?

I made some enquiries with other providers about a similar plan, and not only could they guarantee better coverage, but they were prepared to offer me $11.99 per month in other benefits, which is three times the amount Optus were prepared to offer.

So yes it is my choice, and no Optus probably don't have to offer any additional benefits, but at the end of the day if it is just business and there is no benefit in being loyal, then I guess I will just find the better deal!!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

“So they must remain competitive in their plans as they cannot compete with their coverage”

You hit the nail on the head. Just go for a drive around country Victoria and you will soon find out.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

OK fair enough. But you have misread what I had said. If you check back, "second to ONE" is actually what I typed and exactly what I meant. Optus is in fact offering the second highest network coverage, and anyone that is telling you that they can offer you better, is misinforming you.

As a matter of fact, the only possible people that can offer anything similar, would be Optus sister company's (Virgin, Amaysim, Vaya, etc). And let me be clear, they cannot offer better service as they actually use optus towers, and don't even have priority. They 'piggy-back' of Optus towers

And as a loyal customer you get to upgrade 3 months proir to your contact end with no fees involved. That there, even on a $40 plan saves you another $120 dollars. For customers with longer tenure and good payment history, Optus also offer even earlier targeted upgrading options. Again, saving you hundreds.

Putting that in perspective, your saving $216 alone on that single service. Over 24 months this plan should have cost you $960. Instead your paying $744. Your saving a minum of 22.5% every year. IN TELECOMMUNICATIONS!

What I think we are failing to acknowledge is this is TELCO. It's not insurance where you build up no claim bonus discounts. Its not a frequent flyer systems where you earn points for every dollar you spend. It's telco. And that is the exact same with all telco's. I challenge you to actually find someone who will offer you a loyalty discount after you have been with them for 5 years, 10 years, 20 YEARS! And I mean truly get a gauranty, not just for the sake of trying to prove me wrong. I am almost certain that you will come up short.

And I noticed you have mentioned savings on similar plans with other providers. Are we talking plan value or price? And does said discounts beat Optus' offer in total? And have you read through all the terms and conditions. Telling me that you are saving $11.99 off the bat, really means nothing unless its in perspective. I have done some serious research into other companies, as I am not loyal to a business because "I've been with them for 2 decades." I will be loyal to a business who offers me the best service and value for money. And as of today, out of the 15 or so telco providers ranging from lead companies to 3rd party providers, no other provider can offer the whole package at the same price.

That's why I am loyal. Not because I want something for nothing.

- Retail_Sales

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Again, "second to ONE" is exactly what I wrote in the initial post and exactly what I meant.

As for can't compete, 98.5% of the population verses Telstra (currently providing the best mobile network coverage) providing 99.3%... I believe that is quite competitive. And as I also said, this difference is mainly in rural areas. I am not arguing the fact that Optus has great coverage in rural areas. I know this is not the case. I am actually just saying, that the 0.8% difference in coverage is actually all due to the lack of coverage in those areas. 0.8%! It won't be long before they are on par with Telstra.

🙂

- Retali_Sales

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Those figures are misleading as they are based on population reach not mobile coverage. Geographically speaking the Optus network is less than half the size of the Telstra network (as of last year) however I am happy to see Optus investing in country regions and I hope they continue to do so. Smiley Happy

Top Contributors