cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor KoolMoeDee
New Contributor

Optus's Free Music Streaming is Not Working - Large Amounts of Mobile Data Still Used

Hi,

So I recently switched from a different mobile service provider to Optus mainly for the reason of the free music streaming service which has been on offer for a while. I use google music as my main provider of music streaming.

So I have noticed that the mobile data used when streaming music through google music does not seem to be free. From what I can see, the data used is being included in my normal data usage. I am finding this to be a huge issue because it seems that the promotion of free music streaming does not seem to be working.

Please have a look at the pictures I have uploaded in the link below. I switched over to Optus on the 5th July 2017. The pictures show the data usage of google music since 5th July and the Optus app shows the amount of data used (14GB in total) since 5th July.

http://imgur.com/a/2hd3B

You can see that I had a total of 14GB and google music has used a total of 1.97. The Optus app shows that there is 12.24GB left which means 1.76 has been used officially. It does seem like not all of google musics's usage is going towards my mobile data pool. You can also see some of my other apps using other small amounts of data.

The question now is: Why is the majority of my google music's data usage being included in my Optus mobile data pool usage.

I would also like to clarify the following:

• I only stream music on google music. I dont download music at all.
  • If you would like to see my google music settings they are included in the pictures
  • I have disabled google music to use background data in androids data usage control
  • Its strange that the optus app is not showing daily usage

It would be great if I could get some assistance on this issue as I dont beleive the free music data streaming seems to be working correctly.

If you have any questions please ask. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Contributor Astrayan
Contributor

Re: Optus's Free Music Streaming is Not Working - Large Amounts of Mobile Data Still Used

The app is misleading. Check inside your account, whether there are $0.00 against things in the detailed usage breakdown. You may need to log into the account in in congnito mode.

Check that music stream is enabled in the Sports and Entertainment on the top menu.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Re: Optus's Free Music Streaming is Not Working - Large Amounts of Mobile Data Still Used

Thank you for the information.

So having a look further when logging onto my optus account on the optus website I can see that the data usage is being labelled as 'InternetBrowsing' which is not accurate at all.

Also in the entertainment section of my account information my number is listed in the free streaming music section.

It still looks like there is an issue with the free music streaming. It seems to be counted as 'internet browsing' however its just streaming music via google music. See screenshots I have added for to confirm this using the link below.

http://imgur.com/a/iDn0h

Is anyone able to explain why this is happening?

Thank You

0 Kudos
Contributor Astrayan
Contributor

The system believes it's not enabled, and that you are not on the right type of plan. You can see that in the first image. You need to fix it up via chat or phone 131344, etc etc.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

So I have contacted Optus who have said that music streaming is currently activated and that Google music has only taken 66MB of my mobile data.

This is clearly not correct and they have escalated it to their technical team for further investigation.

I will keep this post updated with the results as they come in.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Bump.

Still have not been contacted by the Optus technical team as promised by Optus staff.

I was to receive email and/or contact on this issue however it has not yet happened.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Klebo
New Contributor

Did they ever get in contact with you? Did you end up fixing your free streaming? I'm having the same issue and can't seem to find an answer as how to fix it. 😕

0 Kudos
Top Contributors