cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus roaming and google/facebook/dropbox access in China

Hi, I'm travelling to China in June with a Samsung S8. I will attach an optus roaming pack for those 7 days. Will I have access to my banking, dropbox files, university and facebook/social networks using Optus roaming? Or will I have paid for roaming but be unable to use the apps I need because of the Great Firewall?
Thanks for your help. eeycee

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus roaming and google/facebook/dropbox access in China

When roaming you are basically using a local Telco that Optus has made a reciprocal deal with. 

So you'll see what the the locals see. Download google maps locally to your phone.

But otherwise I'd suggest maybe grabbing a china phone card (sim?) when you get there. Sort your money with bank cards and treat the rest as an adventure. Some tips here

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Peter is there any reason why a Chinese sim would be better than the Optus carriers? I'm not sure I understand the benefit. Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'm no expert on China.

Just reading the link I posted above, there was some mention that free WIFI places in China won't connect to non chinese SIMs.

But the free Wi-Fi is only available for Chinese phone cards. So we recommend that you purchase a Chinese phone card in China. Alternatively, if you have a tour guide in China, you can ask him/her to help you prepare one.

But presumably the Optus data packs will give you the Mb they say (even if you can't access all the sites you want with it).

Have a great trip (it sounds adventurous).

Regards

Peter Gillepsie