Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus offer of free Samsung 10+ phone - scam SMS

I have received an SMS to answer nine questions on a survey to win a free Samsung 10+. I answered the questions which were all about quality of Optus service then told that I had won a Samsung 10+ phone all I had to do was send my name and postal address. Is this a scam?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus offer of free Samsung 10+ phone

100% scam. Did not come from Optus at all.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Yep. If it was to go into a draw for a chance to win, then that may have been believable, but a guaranteed win is a sure scam indicator. Did the SMS send you to a website? If so, can you post the link (minus any personal info, if any, that might be in the link).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Comes under the banner of if it seems to good to be true then is probably is. So now a random stranger knows:

1) Your Full Name
2) Your Phone Carrier
3) Your Postal Address
4) Your Phone Number

A quick search of the records (Knowing the above) would also provide

5) Your Date of Birth

Until last month this was all the information needed to force port your mobile phone number or order four new iPhoneX be sent to a pickup address (and you to be billed). Be thankful that the government finally got around to doing what the Telcos should have years ago:

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2020L00179

Be hopeful that Optus have actually started doing this (Its not law for another 6 weeks). If you do receive an SMS telling you your phone is being ported then do take action. Likewise any letters you get in the mail that require details to "process" your win should be ignored.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Good timing, we've just posted this about this particular subject.

If you can post a screenshot or details of the link as YetAnotherACC requested that would be helpful 😊

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for replies that confirmed my suspicions. No personal details sent to these scammers. I blame Optus for sending me details of the Samsung 10 and suggesting I update my phone to the new model. There was nowhere else they could have got this information unless they hacked my phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"There was nowhere else they could have got this information "

Scammers sent out 10 million emails at the press of a button. The "information" they send is generic and 99.9% of the time irrelevant and obvious. You just happened to be the match this time. Why spend time and effort hacking phones when some people will just give you the information if you ask?

"No personal details sent to these scammers."

So you haven't sent your name and address in as requested? That's good to hear.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Did it look like this? Probably not as you said you received a SMS.

WinS10Scam.PNG

The Optus team we reported this scam to (with no details) identified this one and blocked it overnight. "Dear Optus client" is usually a giveaway.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos