cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus mobile throttled?

Recently I have noticed when I attempt to upload a video file to my website while tethered to my iPhone, the upload will run really fast for a few seconds, then roll back to being so slow that it has effectively stopped.

If I cancel the upload and start again, the same thing occurs, a burst of upload, and then slows down to nothing.

Here is an example of what it normally looks like:

【Downloads】scp "sample-larger.mp4" s5:www/distracted.mp4
sample-larger.mp4 7% 2112KB  1.9MB/s 00:13 ETA

sample-larger.mp4 7% 2112KB  1.5MB/s 00:16 ETA
sample-larger.mp4 7% 2112KB  1.4MB/s 00:18 ETA
sample-larger.mp4 7% 2208KB 38.9KB/s - stalled -
sample-larger.mp4 8% 2336KB 33.3KB/s 12:45 ETA
sample-larger.mp4 8% 2336KB 15.9KB/s - stalled -
sample-larger.mp4 8% 2336KB  2.7KB/s - stalled -
sample-larger.mp4 8% 2464KB  1.7KB/s - stalled -
sample-larger.mp4 8% 2464KB  0.9KB/s - stalled -

This never used to be a problem, has something changed on the optus side? I think I might need to switch phone providers. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Optus mobile throttled?

Not that I'm aware of, Zadok.

How long has this issue been happening?

Have you contacted Optus technical support?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

It’s been a few weeks now. I can’t imagine Optus technical support being useful. Either they are allowing a burst and then throttling, or they are not. If they throttle then I can’t imagine they would make an exception for one user to upload files, and if they don’t throttle the the network is just bad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Can you test with another provider SIM?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @Zadok ,

AFAIK Optus generally doesn't throttle. However with transfers in general most progress bars start with an optimistic number that can drop off significantly in a few seconds.

While not rulling out Optus I would check:

1) The phone - can you put your SIM in a mates phone and try a transfer

2) Optus - Borrow a mates SIM (or grab a $2 prepaid one) and test that in your phone

3) The website - There could be issues with the upload speed to the site itself?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors