Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Optus locked phone not taking any SIM cards

Proballer

hello,

1st off, you guys are seriously outdated compared to your competitors, seriously. I purchased a samsung J1 mini phone 2 days ago which I'm having trouble getting a telstra SIM card to work on it. I contacted optus 3 times via chat, they checked the IMEI number and advised this phone is NOT locked, so it should take any SIM card. I keep getting the message on the phone "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK", called telstra put in my PUK twice and same message comes up, tried another SIM, same thing.

Optus assured me that phone is not locked and should work fine. They advised they need to get a "special" team involved so they can give me a PUK for the phone NOT for the SIM (confusing) which can take 4-5 days (pathetic!)

This morning, I went to an Optus shop, and they tried entering an unused PUK which didnt work and advised I have to call Optus.

Compared to your competitors, all you do is log on to their site, enter in a few details (phone models, numbers, etc) and you have the code, not waiting around 4-5 days for a system generated code!

Can someone in Optus that knows exactly what they will be talking about and not just assuming assist me here please? I do not have an Optus mobile number, but have an account with home phone and interent for over 20 years!

Re: Optus locked phone not taking any SIM cards

Scott_M

Hi Proballer, if you purchased the Samsung J! as part of a Prepaid offer then the device will most definitely be locked. There will be a fee to unlock such a new handset if it's part of a Prepaid offering. Did you attempt to to unlock this online at → https://goo.gl/SPkSzu ?

Proballer

Yes i did, and when i enter the details on your website, result comes back as "This mobile device is not a locked Optus prepaid mobile device.. This is the imei number 358429071516065.

3 optus reps have advised this is not locked. Please help

Nghi

Can we just confirm Proballer that you have gone through the Optus unlock website here and were directed to this page here after selecting the appropriate options. e.g. Prepaid > Other mobile > After 3rd September 2012 > Less than 6 months.

There is normally a $80 fee to unlock an Optus Prepaid phone if you have never recharged the Optus SIM inside.

You should be re-directed to a page where you can enter your details and IMEI number.

- Nghi

Proballer

I have already done this, selecting the correct options as above. When I enter those details it says " This mobile device is not a locked Optus prepaid mobile device."(see screenshot as below)

Once again, I have spoken to your team and they advised their escalation team will provide me with a code which can take 4-5 days, which doesn't make any sense since its system generated.optus.jpg

Please resolve this and stop going around in circles. It's a simple request!

Nghi

We do have a backend unlock team which provides unlock codes though they aren't generated in-house. We request them from the manufacturer and update you once it is received.

[ Edited ]
Proballer

Possible ETA?? Please dont say, "a week or so".

I will try and contact samsung now and try to work with them, who knows maybe they will push back and say "ohh thats optus's problem"

Nghi

The standard time-frame for an unlock escalation in 5-10 business days.

Proballer

Just contacted samsung and they advised Optus has this code! and they insisted Optus has this.

They can't do anything about it. Can you not waste anymore time and resolve this today or the latest tomorrow?

Highlighted

Nghi

We aren't able to escalate this any further for you here Smiley Sad You should be contacted soon by our unlock escalation team.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
49 Kudos