cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Optus introduces Endless Data

We’re giving you more choice when it comes to managing your mobile data, with the introduction of Endless Data.

How does Endless data work? 

With Endless Data, you now have the option to continue using data without being worried about any excess data charges in Australia. When you exceed your shared data allowance, the speed of your data will be slowed to a maximum of 1.5Mbps.

• You now have the option to choose your preferred way of managing excess mobile data and data speeds once you hit your data limit. Use the Manage Data option to opt into Endless data
  • Switch between Endless Data and Automatic $10 for 1GB top ups once per billing month

To find out all the ways to stay in control of your data, check out our new Manage Your Data hub.

Terms and conditions:

No Excess Data Charges: Included in eligible plans and automatically applied to all services on the same account that share data. Data slowed to max 1.5Mbps if shared allowance reached. Use while slowed is unmetered. Excess data option can be changed once per month via My Optus app and My Account. Applies to data use in Aus.

Excess Data Options: Applies to all eligible services on the same account that share data. If shared data allowance exceeded, ‘No Excess Data Charges’ customers slowed to max speed of 1.5Mbps. Automatic $10 for 1GB’ customers automatically charged $10 per 1GB. Use while slowed is unmetered. Additional shared data can be purchased to remove excess data options. Excess data option can be changed once per month via My Optus app and My Account. Applies to data use in Aus.

Additional data Automatic $10 for 1GB: If you use more than 150GB of top-up data on a single billing account, we may continue to charge you at the same rates, restrict your data use or slow your speed to 256Kbps until the next billing period.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
23 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Optus introduces Endless Data

That's a good start Ray.

Now that Optus clearly has the capability to throttle data once cap has been reached, are there any plans for a similar feature to be made available to all postpaid plans where excess data can be stopped altogether, and where the customer has the choice to opt-in to the extra data $$$, rather then forced onto it?

Also, the FAQ states "If you're a customer who has at least one eligible Optus Choice & Choice DataOptus One or Optus Family plans you may be already opted-in to Endless Data."

So if all customers on the selected plans are not automatically opted-in, what is the criteria the determines who is/isn't automatically opted in?

Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

We've heard bits and pieces that this was is in the works for quite a while. However we mainly find out all the details at launch time with everyone else. So with regards to future plans, we simply aren't able to advise.

Good question/observation. All new and existing customers selecting an Optus Choice, Optus Family or Optus One plan when performing a new connection, re-contracting or rate plan change will be automatically opted-in to the Endless Data feature.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Ray_YC wrote:

We've heard bits and pieces that this was is in the works for quite a while. 

That's a good sign, I suppose.

However we mainly find out all the details at launch time with everyone else. So with regards to future plans, we simply aren't able to advise.

So normal corporate silo culture. No surprise there.

All new and existing customers selecting an Optus Choice, Optus Family or Optus One plan when performing a new connection, re-contracting or rate plan change will be automatically opted-in to the Endless Data feature.

OK, so existing customers that are already on Optus Choice, Optus Family or Optus One plan but "do nothing" will not automatically get Endless Data unless they perform one of those actions?

0 Kudos
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, no. It's more of a confidentiality thing...

Automatically, no. But they do not need to perform one of those actions to receive Endless Data.

Kartika

Hi @YetAnotherAcc, customers that are already on Optus Choice, Optus Family or Optus One plan need to change from data top up $10 - 1Gb option to Endless data option. They can do this by navigating into Optus app > Service > Extra > Manage Data.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Thank @Kartika , so switching from data top up $10 - 1Gb option to Endless data option, is considered a rate plan change then? I guess I'm getting confused with the difference between a plan (like Choice, Family & One, something that changes their fixed monthly cost) and a rate plan, which is how extra data is charged.

So will existing customers be informed that they have this new no-cost rate plan option?

0 Kudos
Kartika

You`re welcome @YetAnotherAcc. No no it is not a rate plan change. Rate plan is for e.g. $39 or $49 Choice plan which is what customers are charged every month. In other words when we refer to Rare plan or plan here it is the same. 

So when existing customers change their plan (rate plan) to another one or recontract to get a new handset with a new plan or add a new service on the same account then endless data will automatically apply with this change. If they don`t make any change then they will have to manually go into the Optus app as advised above to change to Endless data option.

Yes, we have updated our website and also a pop up that comes on the Optus app to notify this to the customers.  

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I misread Ray's last comment "But they do not need to perform one of those actions to receive Endless Data."/

The "not" didn't register, it all makes sense now, thanks @Kartika .

Kartika

No worries @YetAnotherAcc. If you need more clarification then you can always refer to our → Endless data support page for more info. Till then stay safe.