Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
HillsBear
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus fobs customers off to the manufacturer when products are defective

Question: Why won't Optus stand behind the products they sell, but instead tell their customers they have to deal direct with the manufacturer when the product is defective?  I am very disappointed with Optus. I purchased a brand new Samsung S8 from Optus.  When I was purchasing the product the staff at the Castle Towers Optus store were very cheerful and eager.  But fast forward to when I went back to the store yesterday to get my S8 phone charger replaced because it's defective and the cheerfulness and eagerness was totally gone. "Oh, we can't give you a new charger, you'll need to deal directly with Samsung".  I said I had purchased the product in good faith believing it would perform as expected.  But no, I was told I would have to go to a Samsung store.  The other option offered was that Optus would send it away for "testing". I said "Well how do I recharge my phone?" The eyes of the Optus employee just glazed over.  Here's the thing - I can take a defective product back to Target or K-mart and get a refund or replacement without fuss.  But not with Optus. It's about time Optus reviewed its policy on dealing with defective products returned by the customer. These are essential communication devices that we need, not a t-shirt or toaster, so the customer deserves a much better outcome. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Optus fobs customers off to the manufacturer when products are defective

Statutory Guarantees are not optional extras but legal requirements and all Optus staff will have been trained in them extensively. Suggesting that Optus is not responsible for a product they sell and a customer must deal with the manufacturer direct is illegal. MSY (for example) incurred big penalties for just such misrepresentations.

That said, the legal frame work is deliberately vague and so normally dealing under Statutory Laws is a bit of give and take. The staff may genuinely feel the quickest way to get a replacement is request it from the manufacturer. But if you don't wish to go that route then the optus staff is legally obligated to handle the situation themselves. It sounds like a minor fault they can choose refund, repair or replace. Repair or replace will take time so not ideal.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors